Cheyenne Mountain Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-16 of 16
Summit Slut

Summit Slut - Dec 28, 2020 10:44 am Date Climbed: Dec 27, 2020

Re: Route Climbed: Southeast Slopes Date Climbed: Summer 2001

I ran into the exact same thing yesterday! A homeowner at the end of Rock Creek Canyon Rd. informed me that it was all private property around there including the access road I ended up on trying to find the Southeast Slope route. She said lots of people ended up getting lost back there and the route is "long gone". She also mentioned something about a flood. She stated the route up Cheyenne Mountain is from the State Park (Dixon Trail), but I've done that plenty, and wanted a new adventure. Like you, I set my odometer at Ft. Carson Gate 1 and 4.9 miles brought me to what looked like a private driveway. 2.9 miles was the turn by the May Museum, which when looking at the topo map of the route, appeared to be the correct starting point. After driving around the roads in the area north of Rock Creek Canyon, and finding nothing but more "no trespassing" or "private property" signs, I bailed on the route.

telemarkdude

telemarkdude - Aug 8, 2016 11:54 pm Date Climbed: Aug 7, 2016

Via Swisher Trail  Sucess!

Took McNeil trail almost exactly 2 miles to the unmarked Swisher trail(cairned). Swisher trail then climbs steeply up to the summit ridge. Several bumps south along the ridge gets you to the top.

knotis23

knotis23 - Jun 4, 2012 8:30 pm Date Climbed: Jun 4, 2012

Cheyenne Mtn and The Horns  Sucess!

Great hike, hit both mtns. Tried to go to antenna farm, but camera scared us off. Saw lots of cool stuff. What's up w/ that "Cheyenne Lodge" at the top of The Horns? Great time, hiked w/ Phil.

psledlie - Sep 21, 2011 2:35 pm

Re: Route Climbed: Southeast Slopes Date Climbed: Summer 2001

Hi,

I was going to try this hike, but when I drove up Rock Creek Canyon Rd., there was a No Trespassing sign. I initially went the 4.9 miles past Gate 1, but that dirt road also had a a No Trespassing, violators, etc.. Which road did you use?

Thanks for any info,
Peter Ledlie psledlie@gmail.com

Brian Kalet

Brian Kalet - Mar 2, 2011 11:58 am Date Climbed: Feb 27, 2011

2 Peaks  Sucess!

With The Horns.

RckyMtneer

RckyMtneer - Dec 6, 2010 9:57 pm Date Climbed: Dec 6, 2010

Southwest slopes  Sucess!

Climbed from Old Stage and Transmitter Lane to the true summit. Not much snow for this time of year. Friend Bill went with me. Been driving to the antenna farm many times over the past 18 years to work up on the towers, figured it was time to actually climb this mountain!!!

Sarah Simon

Sarah Simon - Nov 1, 2009 8:27 pm Date Climbed: Nov 1, 2009

McNiel to Swisher  Sucess!

This was a great way to start the month of November. Just the rigt amount of snow was on the mountain: Enough to make it look like winter but not so much that the post-holing was intolerable. We enjoyed lunch and a Stella on the summit before following our steps back down to the vehicle. The steep Swisher trail is a bit of an adventure in slick conditions! Partners: Deb & Kevin.

VermontMike

VermontMike - Sep 23, 2009 2:57 pm Date Climbed: Aug 28, 2009

Nice!!  Sucess!

Took the excellent MacNeil Trail to the top of the Horns, then backtracked and up the Scheiffer (?) trail to the Cheyenne Mtn saddle and bushwhacked the ridge to the summit. Made the mistake of descending the north slopes back down to the MacNeil trail; rough bushwhack with some dispersed cliff bands and thick vegetation.

Brad76

Brad76 - Sep 7, 2009 5:44 pm Date Climbed: Sep 7, 2009

Bushwhack feast  Sucess!

A rather warm Labor Day ascent with my wife. We were off a little as we gained a sub-summit first, but made quick work over to the true summit, with hundreds of thousands of lady bugs.

kavak

kavak - Feb 11, 2009 10:58 am Date Climbed: Oct 25, 2003

Southwest Slopes  Sucess!

I made a trip down to Colorado Springs to see a Sedge Wren which is rare in Colorado. After whiffing on the bird I headed to the prominent landmark of Cheyenne Mountain, found a place to park and just headed up where it seemed easiest, wasn't sure of legal access at the time.

big_g

big_g - Dec 26, 2008 12:01 am Date Climbed: Dec 25, 2008

xmas hike  Sucess!

Routefinding and bushwacking were pretty easy and not much snow to boot. Good little hike.

cftbq

cftbq - Sep 22, 2008 10:26 pm Date Climbed: Sep 22, 2008

SW slopes again  Sucess!

Went back to this cool peak with Jeremy to explore the ridge connecting it to the Horns. Great loop: 9.5 miles, 3,100 ft. vertical, 4 hrs., 45 min., 2 ranked peaks!

pittbrownie

pittbrownie - Aug 25, 2008 12:27 am Date Climbed: Aug 23, 2008

southwest slopes  Sucess!

Nice hike. Kicked over a bees nest on the way down, made for a super fast decent.

ledavis23

ledavis23 - May 24, 2008 4:50 pm Date Climbed: May 23, 2008

Southwest Slopes  Sucess!

Found the trail near the stables easily. Went up the hill N/NE, passed a fire ring then headed directly east up the steep slope of Cheyenne. Great fun.

shknbke

shknbke - Mar 28, 2006 6:00 am Date Climbed: Feb 28, 2004

via antenna farm road  Sucess!

Climbed Cheyenne from Old Stage via the antenna farm road. Left the road at a 9000' saddle and bushwacked due west to the summit. Nice hike to do in winter.

mmoerk

mmoerk - Sep 20, 2005 2:28 am

Route Climbed: Southwest slopes, with side-trip to The Horns Date Climbed: September 19, 2005  Sucess!

What a great day exploring this mountain. Summited with Tiffany and Bailey around 9am.

Viewing: 1-16 of 16
Return to 'Cheyenne Mountain' main page