Chicken Shack Fireroad Big Rock Ridge

Chicken Shack Fireroad Big Rock Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 38.04096°N / 122.61907°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: class 1
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

 
Mt. Tam from the Chicken Shack Fireroad
Mt. Tam from the Chicken Shack Fireroad
I've hiked all over massive Big Rock Ridge for years. The main ridge is fed into by several sub-ridges coming up from north or south. The routes from Lucas Valley on the south side are the most popular and the shortest but steepest ways to the top. Yesterday (Aug 23 '13) I decided to try a new route from the northeast end starting next to Hwy. 101 in south Novato. It is the simple well graded and wide Chickenshack Fireroad that gradually climbs the northeast ridge up and around to the main ridge. It was refreshing to take a new approach to the main Big Rock Ridge Fireroad that goes to the top of Marin County's 2nd highest mountain.

Getting There

 
North from Big Rock Ridge Fireroad
North from Big Rock Ridge Fireroad
From Hwy. 101 between the Marinwood and Ignacio exits take the Alameda Del Prado/Nave Dr. exit over to the west side just south of Burger King. Park along the street of Clay Ct.. The route starts on the hillside going up to the west.

Route Description

 
Out to San Pedro Mountain
San Pedro Mtn. from Chicken Shack
Just over a short wooden guard rail fence along Clay Ct. a use trail goes up a short distance to an abandoned tennis court. Take the Chickenshack Fireroad on the right. It winds up over and around with a few dips gradually gaining elevation and becoming the Big Rock Ridge Fireroad until it reaches the main ridge at 3 miles and 1,400' elevation. To get to the main summit towers (1,887') continue to the right and head northwest on the Big Rock Ridge Fireroad over 2 main highpoints another 2 1/4 miles.
The high point at one mile is "The Sixteener" (1,640+') one of the best views in the northbay.

Retrace the route back.

The full route to the summit towers is approximately 10.5 miles with about 2,500' gain round trip.

Essential Gear

 
Big Rock Ridge Fireroad
Big Rock Ridge Fireroad
Snacks or lunch, windbreaker and or raincoat, plenty of water especially on hot summer days.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.