Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 25.28477°S / 48.83111°W
Additional Information County: Paraná
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 5643 ft / 1720 m
Sign the Climber's Log
Me by the thing
Summit!
 
Ciririca Peak and a sea of clouds...
 

Ciririca is a very popular mountain in the Serra do Ibitiraquire range. But it is popular not meaning "easy mountain", on the contrary. It is normal to hear here at my country: "If the Sierra Fina traverse is the brazilian Everest for a traverse, Ciririca Peak is the Brazilian K2!

This mountain has a fantastic view to Paraná Peak group, all the Ibitiraquire range and it's perfect to get a great night of sleep, very cold and windy. One of the two ways to get to Agudos de Cotia, even harder moutains. Every year, at winter time, around 200 or so try Cririca Peak, only around 30 or 35 succeed.
Brazilian state: Paraná.
Nearest big city and airport: Curitiba (40km)
Trailhead: There's two farms you can go on from, To hike from the Caratuva side go to Pico Paraná Farm. To go hike from the Camapuan side, go to Bolinha Farm.

On the mountain summit lies two metallic plates that were used in the 70's and 80's to reflect a radio signal, which was supposed to remotely open some doors of an dam facility in another city. Today, deactivated, the plates are target for curious mountaineers that climb them looking for good photos. Ciririca is considered to be an misty and one of the hardest summits of brazilian south region.


Getting There




They're not big, but quite challenging mountains!
Take BR-116 to North till Campina Grande Do Sul, and search for Posto do Tio Doca (Tio Doca Gas Station). Ask for directions to get to the Bolinha farm. From that farm is the starting point to the trail (above trail) to Camapuan, Tucum, Cerro Verde and Luar Peak. The last summit is Ciririca Peak.

For Ciririca there’s two possible trails.

First one: “Above trail”.

For this one normaly who try does it in 2 or maybe 3 days, bcuz you have to hike and descent 4 summits before Ciririca, and that makes it the 5th summit of the adventure. The altitude difference becuz of that is probably more than 2000 meters. It is an exausting pass, but possible. I did it in 14 hours, in just one day! Started at 04:40 am at the road, walked 6kms to the farm, entered the trail at 06:20am. I went up, passed by Camapuan (1706m), Tucum (1736m), Cerro Verde (1650m), Cerro Luar (1653m), descent to about 1300m and only then i started to hike Ciririca itself, and got to the summit at 20:15pm. It was really, really, really hard...

80% of the people who try this route quit at the second day, it rains a lot there and they lose the window of good weather.

Second one: “down trail”.

That’s a direct route to the peak, but also long and chalenging. Takes from 6 to 8 hours of hike, depending on the trekker. Even by that way, 70% of the hikers quit after 5 hours.

Red Tape

Fire is forbidden at the forest, to remove plants too. Use the sites for camping already set up.

Camping

Camping is allowed anywhere you want, but be careful not to damage the forest and its plants, look for the spots for camping: The farm (900 m high), Camapuan summit (1.706 m), Tucum summit (1.736 m), Cerro Verde Summit (1.653 m), Pico Luar summit (1.635 m).

Weather Forecast

You can hike this mountain in all seasons, but in summer there are rains every day. In winter is cold, but the days are clearer. The temperatures going from -10°C to 15°C.
Best time to climb: April to September.

Legal Issues


To hike/ climb is a dangerous activity and requires proper equipment and clothing, the owner of this page cannot be blamed by injuries caused to anyone who read this page for its info about the mountain, and eventually got hurt by doing so with reckless behaviour or bad weather conditions.

Paulo Roberto Felipe Schmidt – AKA: PAROFES

External Links

My youtube channel: www.youtube.com/parofes - Now with 270+ videos online!

The biggest brazilian website about climbing and mountaineering, for which I'm a columnist:



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Ibitiraquire SierraMountains & Rocks