CLyde SE. Face Topo

CLyde SE. Face Topo

This is my version of the correct topo for the SE Face of Clyde Minaret. Finding the start of the traverse is easy. You cannot see it on my pic. Once you get around the corner of the traverse, on the first pitch, there are many ways to go up. The first time I tried it, Steve and I trended up and right. This ended up on a far right ledge, way below the dihedral, with no place to go. This time I deliberately tried to stay left and tried to follow the staircase of ledges up toward the giant dihedral. It worked perfect. The traverse into the dihedral is at a big ledge that has a small pinnacle at the right side. The pinnacle has a piton in the top of it. Clip it as your high piece for the traverse. DO NOT go up to the roof above. You will see fixed pieces up there, but don't be tempted. The traverse is not obvious from looking at it, but it all comes together when you are on it. The big dihedral is pretty consistent 5.8 for about 320 feet. There are many ledges, so there are only a couple sections that are sustained. At the top of the big dihedral you will find a easier ground (5.6) for about another 100 feet to the notch (Not shown in pic). At the notch you can pretty much see the summit up left. It is easy 5th and 4th class to the top.
DustysDawg
on Aug 8, 2007 5:42 pm
Image Type(s): Alpine Climbing
Image ID: 321528

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-1 of 1
Diggler

Diggler - Aug 17, 2009 6:48 pm - Voted 10/10

Thanks for posting this

This was well done, & useful for route-finding purposes last weekend. What a great route!

Viewing: 1-1 of 1