Cocuy Range, Sierra Nevada del Cocuy, Guican, Chita

Cocuy Range, Sierra Nevada del Cocuy, Guican, Chita

Page Type Page Type: Custom Object
Location Lat/Lon: 6.38784°N / 72.32194°W
Additional Information Object Type: Area Range mountains climbing

Overview

The Cocuy mountain range (Sierra Nevada delCocuy, Guican y Chita), is considered the largest and longest portion of glacier in Colombia, and one of the biggest one in the region considering its position in the tropical zone closer to the equatorial line.

More than 22 summits with spectacular glaciers are distributed in 25 kilometers long and 306.000 Hectares, this extension is part of the National Park of El Cocuy founded in1977.

The altitude range is from 600 m to the highest summit called Ritak´uwa (Ritacuba or Ritakuwa) Blanco 5400m. You can find temperatures from -10 to 20 Celsius.

This mountains are the natural home of the Frailejón, an endemic plant that grows 1 cm per year and is a fundamental producer of water. You will be surprised when you find and have the opportunity to see some huge ancient Frailejones.

In general is a unique place on earth, its variety of plants, animals, sceneries and much more, make this location a “must go”.

If you are looking for birth watching, treking, summits attempts, rock climbing, ice climbing and more, you will find this place amazing.

Getting There and Things to know

Most of the time the easiest starting point to go to Cocuy is from the Colombian capital city Bogotá, where all the international flights arrive.

There is no option of going by plane to Cocuy so you will have to go by bus.

Go to the bus terminal El Salitre,the main agency is called Libertadores, the bus trip is 10 hours so consider to spend a night in the bus, because in the day the trip takes a little longer. The price for one person is 45.000 pesos colombianos, in high season it can rise to 50.000

You will first arrive to Cocuy town, and the final stop is Guican town. These two towns are the main starting points to get into the national park.

Be aware of taking enough cash, because once there, there are no option to pay with credit cards, and there is just one bank office with a cash machine, some times in the high season it can get run out of money. 

Once you get to Cocuy town and before you go up to the mountains, you will have to register and pay the entrance at the National Park Office. Is located a few blocks from the main park and in front of the main public market place.

The price is: for Colombians: 26.000

  Students with ID or photocopy University certificate: 15.000

  Visitors from other countries: 51.000

Also you are required to have an accident insurance or assistance secure, if you don´t have one you will have to buy one in Cocuy, the cost is 7.000 pesos colombianos per day per person.



Some pictures of the range and sights

cocuy

cocuy2
cocuy
imagen1
Summit San Pablin Norte 5200m

imagen7
North of the range, summits from lefth to right: Ritakuwa (Ritacuba) blanco, Picacho, Puntiagudo
imagen8
Paramo and Frailejones
Imagenes edo
Sunrise at summit attempt
imagen2
Lake Los Tempanos

Usefull Links

You can find more usefull information in the following links, or contact with people that will help you with everything you need about the place.
www.elmontanero.blogspot.com/
http://montanascolombianas.com/
https://www.facebook.com/montanascolombianas?fref=ts