Coopers Rock State Forest

Page Type Page Type: Area/Range
Location Lat/Lon: 39.63782°N / 79.81516°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Bouldering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 2128 ft / 649 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

West Virginia is the home of many famous climbing locations. If you want good sport, trad, or top-roping, you can travel to the New River Gorge. If you want good multi-pitch, go to Seneca Rocks. Nelson Rocks is the premier via ferrata destination. For bouldering you have Coopers Rock! Coopers Rock is home to over 400 different problems. The area is broken into several areas: Tilted Tree, Roadside, Upper Rock City, and Picnic Table Boulder. Some Problems can reach heights of 30 feet. Most of the problems range from V0 to V6. However, there are also plenty of problems between V7 and V10. There are also two nice overlooks of the Cheat River. The main overlook is located at the parking area between Upper Rock City and Roadside. There is no climbing allowed in this area. The other is located between Tilted Tree and the CRSF Campground and offers a more rustic view. There are no railings at that location. Coopers Rock STate Forest also has over 50 miles of hiking trails.

Getting There

Coopers Rock is easy to locate as it is right outside the city of Morgantown in central north West Virginia. Coming from the west the easiest way is to take I-79 get off on I-68 at Morgantown. Take exit 15 and turn right. Coming from the east take exit 15 off I-68 and turn left.

Red Tape

During winter months the main entrance to the southern portion of the park(The bouldering area) is closed from Dec 1st til March 31st. It is a 3 mile hike in and out. There is a small parking area outside the main gate and you can either follow the paved road or travel along the roadside trail.

External Links and reading

A Falcon Guide: Where to climb series
Coopers Rock Bouldering Guide
by Dan Brayack and Tim Keenan


For current weather and more information on hiking at Coopers Rock please check out. Also contains information about the CRSF campground.
www.coopersrockstateforest.com


www.chestnutridgepark.com

Camping

Chestnut Ridge Park and Campground
Route 1 Boxn267
Bruceton Mills, WV 26525
(304) 594-1772 or (888) 594-3111
mail@chestnutridgepark.com
www.chestnutridgepark.com



Coopers Rock State Forest
Route 1 Box 270
Bruceton Mills, WV 26525
(304) 594-1561 or (800) CALL-WVA
coopersrock@wvdnr.gov
www.coopersrockstateforest.com