Copper Butte Comments

desainmeUntitled Comment

desainme

A new idea is broached here: the difference between peaks elevation and the elevation of a nearby saddle. This difference is called the prominence of the peak and Copper Butte by this ranking is #10 in Washington. Fine pictures too.
Posted Jan 10, 2004 9:01 pm

DeanUntitled Comment

Thanks for being the first to vote on this brand new page, it is appreciated. The prominance thing is a real interest to a group of climbers here in the NW and they chase them very actively, regardless of whether they have to rope up or simply walk up. SP'er rfbolton is one of those who is really into prominance and there is even a web site (Yahoo group) for those with this interest.

Again, thanks a bunch for taking the time to vote and to make comments. The only thing that was truly notable about this Peak was all of the bear sign (fresh), it had me a little unnerved since I was solo.
Posted Jan 10, 2004 9:16 pm

KlenkeUntitled Comment

Klenke

Another one I intend to climb next summer (probably right after Abercrummy). Thanks.

BTW, here and on Aber page: prominence.
Posted Jan 10, 2004 10:03 pm

DeanUntitled Comment

Ah, the "e" instead of "a" situation (corrected, thanks to you) I was hoping you had some pics of Copper Butte since I can't seem to locate the one or two I took showing the whole mountain (such as it is) Well, next year I can depend on you for posting some pics of both Copper Butte and Abercrombie.

Thanks for the vote, as always, it is appreciated.
Posted Jan 10, 2004 10:20 pm

KlenkeUntitled Comment

Klenke

I've been over Sherman Pass (Oct. '96) but I only have pics of the peaks immediately next to the pass--probably either Sherman Peak, Snow Peak, or Columbia Mountain. The forest appears as an old burn. This may be the same burn as the one you mentioned (1994). I recall my little sojourn across SR-20 coming back from Coeur d'Alene as beein a scenic one. Nice rolly hills and dales of grasses with the odd old tilted barn amidst.
Posted Jan 10, 2004 11:00 pm

Brian JenkinsUntitled Comment

Brian Jenkins

As usual, an excellent page.
Posted Jan 10, 2004 11:58 pm

Jerry LUntitled Comment

Jerry L

Another "lesser" peak. Another dynamite page with some interesting links. Well done.
Posted Jan 11, 2004 6:03 pm

JonBradfordUntitled Comment

JonBradford

Dean,

Nice page. Thank you for sharing a "lesser" summit... I may be spending some time at Whidby Island this spring so I am enjoying the preview of Washingtons mountains.

Jon
Posted Jan 11, 2004 9:08 pm

Bob BoltonUntitled Comment

Bob Bolton

Dean,

We've come to expect nothing but excellence from your pages, and this is no exception. Also, it's good to see you starting to take some interest in prominence. When the available county highpoints start being too far away for comfortable weekend trips, maybe you'll join me on some prominence outings!

Keep up the great work!!

Bob
Posted Jan 12, 2004 12:45 am

rpcUntitled Comment

rpc

Great page Dean!

Another E. Washington beauty.

Radek

PS You're killing me Dean :) - that Johnson book, 50 Hikes for E. Washington's Highest Mountains.........a book I haven't seen/heard of before and one I must now own!!!!! ooouch!
Posted Jan 12, 2004 11:23 am

DeanUntitled Comment

Gotcha Radek. You sound like a book-a-maniac like me. I can't rest until I get the latest book, especially if it has to do with the mountains. I have books dating back into the early 60's (Joe Brown, Chris Bonington, Gaston Rabuffet (sp?), etc) and I've reread some of these several times. My wife wants to know how we're going to ever move if I keep buying books. BTW, thanks for your vote and your comments. I hope to meet you someday. Take care.

Posted Jan 12, 2004 4:58 pm

rpcUntitled Comment

rpc

Dean,

Yeah, definitely a guide-book-o-maniac myself though most of our collection unfortunately does not go quite as far back (do have a couple of "classics" mostly on OR climbing that date back to late 70's/early 80's). Usually find that a guidebook precedes a climb idea for us (i.e. get a cool sounding guidebook, page thru. it and come up with some climbing/hiking plans).

Think it would be fun to do a climb together if you have time this summer Dean. I think you might have mentioned that Jefferson (OR) is on your list still? We've been thinking of trying that one (perhaps via Jeff. Park Glacier route.....that after seeing Fred's photo's of the route!). Think Brian Jenkins would also be interested in that one (could be an "SP outing":).

Radek
Posted Jan 13, 2004 10:56 am

William MarlerUntitled Comment

William Marler

Great job. Cheers William
Posted May 13, 2004 8:42 am

Derek FranzenUntitled Comment

Derek Franzen

Like all your other pages, this one is both interesting and informative.
Posted Jul 8, 2005 11:34 pm

RedwicRegarding your hyperlinks, and the trail...

Redwic

How long is the trail, from the trailhead to the summit?
Is there a particular USGS map or Green Trails map to reference?

Also, some of the links provided on this SP page no longer work.
Posted Mar 31, 2009 10:59 am

DeanRe: Regarding your hyperlinks, and the trail...

The info on length is on the route page:
There used to be topozone links that covered the page as well but both topozone and Fototime have been lost to me. I have had to start re working all the pages I have for the lost info and it is a pain in the a.. to do since I have so many pages to deal with. Regardless, I always appreciate the head's up on bad links.

So, its 3 miles from the TH to the summit and the elevation gain is 1650 feet.
Posted Mar 31, 2009 1:12 pm

Vic HansonCool down lap - 1

Vic Hanson

After 4 big glacier climbs, we hiked up Copper, no snow, just a quick 1 hr, 10 min to the summit, 50 min down.
Posted Aug 16, 2012 8:36 pm