Cordillera Vilcanota, south of Campa pass (5000m+)

Cordillera Vilcanota, south of Campa pass (5000m+)

This is a foresummit NNE of Campa. The main summit (5500m+) lies well over a kilometer further back. Looking at the contours, I think it wouldn't be difficult to climb Campa directly from the pass, crossing this foresummit, but that's not the most obvious route to the main summit. First of all there is no water on the pass, so you would have to set up camp to the west or to the east anyway. The normal route to Campa comes from the northwest, with the last part from the north, and this is the obvious choice when camping west. Alternatively, coming from the east, judging by the contours it would be easier to head directly for a saddle on the ridge south of this foresummit and follow the ridge from there. 6 June 2011.
rgg
on Nov 9, 2011 3:48 am
Image Type(s): Hiking,  Scenery
Image ID: 758864

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Damien Gildea

Damien Gildea - Dec 21, 2011 10:14 pm - Hasn't voted

Tops

I went up to the high snow peak on the far right in early June 2011. I could see the NE side of Mariposa, but could not really see around to the rest of the Campa group.

rgg

rgg - Dec 22, 2011 3:38 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Tops

I don't suppose you have any photos from up there? They might make a useful addition to the article.

By the way, normally, when I look at a mountain, I think about climbing it. However, from the pass, this one didn't look particularly interesting, so the climbing bug wasn't stirring very strong, especially since I was still on cloud nine after our adventures on Ausangate. Besides, we were running out of time: we had to get back to Tinqui that same day.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2