Gangolf HaubRe: Where?

Gangolf Haub

Hehe - you got me there! France of course! I remember clicking on France but something must have gone wrong. Thanks a lot!
Posted Mar 13, 2006 9:38 pm

VelebitGreat

Velebit

Wow, that's a very nice surprise Gangolf! Excellent work as always!
Posted Mar 13, 2006 11:32 pm

Gangolf HaubA surprise?

Gangolf Haub

Why? I have held all the Corsica mountain pages for three years. Seemed to me like I had to do the overview. Unfortunately I only know the west and the centre so far :-(
Posted Mar 14, 2006 5:49 am

vvujisicGreat idea!

vvujisic

I like Corsica very much!
Posted Mar 14, 2006 12:54 pm

Lee StammWonderful

Lee Stamm

You've outdone yourself, Gangolf.
Posted Mar 14, 2006 5:25 pm

Gangolf HaubRe: Wonderful

Gangolf Haub

Thanks Lee!
Posted Mar 14, 2006 6:08 pm

Vid PogachnikAhh, Corsica!

Vid Pogachnik

Thanks for this fine overview page. Again fine memories on our trip are back :-)

Interesting, that I read in last some days for the second time the word 'transhumanca'. You mention it as one of the routes. Gordon (Dinaric) mentions this word as being used in Balcan areas, denoting seasonal moving of people (shepherds) on higher mountain areas. The word must have a very old origin, while the Slavic name that he mentions is: 'izdig' (in a simple translation move-up). In Slovenia we don't have a similar word for moving on higher alpine meadows, is there any in German?
Posted Mar 14, 2006 9:24 pm

Gangolf HaubRe: Ahh, Corsica!

Gangolf Haub

Well, I wasn't aware of the meaning of the ward - I had just perused the Natural Park's web site which lists the trecks with (much more) information (than I put on here). Anyway it definitely makes sense - it is the migration from the lower regions in the north to the villages of the Golo Valley. Today people live in the villages all year round - at least I think so - but in former times it must have been different. People migrated with their lifestock - cattle and sheep and part of that is still alive today.

There is no real German name for this kind of migration - the closest you get is Alpauftrieb and Alpabtrieb - the times when the lifestock is driven up or down the mountains. Generally this coincides with the times the farmers move to their pastures themselves. However, I think that this habit has never been as pronounced in Germany as it was in the Waliser Valleys in Switzerland. I have no idea if those guys have a name for it.
Posted Mar 14, 2006 10:42 pm

Gangolf HaubRe: Ahh, Corsica!

Gangolf Haub

I never thought I would learn Swedish by talking with a Slovenian about a French island :-)
Posted Mar 16, 2006 6:10 am

LupinoInteresting

Lupino

A very interesting overview. Bravo
Paolo

p.s. we say "transumanza" :-)
Posted Mar 17, 2006 3:17 pm

DiveriaGood job

Diveria

I always appreciate your overview descriptions of the areas together with the detailed descriptions of the related summits. I visited Corsica this last summer. Unfortunately I had only 10 days so I only gave a quick visit to the Restonica valley, while I spent the rest of the time on the beaches... maybe I will come back and use your info for discovering the mountains! Cheers!
Posted Sep 30, 2010 5:50 am