Cotacachi Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-6 of 6
jm141302

jm141302 - May 22, 2013 10:59 am Date Climbed: May 19, 2013

Direct route from the antennas  Sucess!

Very windy and in the clouds the whole time. We went right up the same ridge as the antennas. 60 ft, class 4 section was interesting. Grabbing and stepping onto the rocks felt like playing Russian roulette. Maybe it would hold, maybe not. 3-hour adrenaline rush. Helmets are a must.

wmolland

wmolland - Feb 1, 2011 1:39 pm Date Climbed: Jan 11, 2011

From Cuicocha

Started out from the lake at about 3:30 and got up to the steep and crumbly rock wall at about 11:00 in the rain/snow/wind. Decided not to give the top section a go in the less than ideal conditions. A nice hike in a beautiful area.

Boriss Andean

Boriss Andean - Jul 4, 2008 4:55 pm Date Climbed: Jul 3, 2008

Route Climbed: Normal Route  Sucess!

Nice scramble to Ecuador's eleventh highest mountain (4,939 m/16,204 ft). Edgar, Katy and I started at 8 am from the Antennas. Had to climb a couple of long gullies completely covered by waist deep snow.
Then I scrambled up a thin rock chemeney to belay up my buddies soon after. We Reached the summit almost 7 hours of constantly climbing. Great being up there despite bad cold weather and chilly conditions.

(It's advisable to wear gaitors, crampons and helmets for rock fall danger)

summiter

summiter - Jul 6, 2007 4:29 pm

Succesful climb

Made it up with a good group. Very enjoyable! We even found lightning glass at the summit where lightning had had struck the summit and melted sand. A little dangerous coming down with rockfall and all- had to wear helmets. We didnt need crampons- all rock to the top the way we went.

big_g

big_g - Feb 8, 2005 6:17 pm Date Climbed: Dec 9, 2004

Route Climbed: std

Only climbed the secondary summit due to time constraints and poor visibility. Hope to return soon.

Mblue01

Mblue01 - Aug 10, 2004 3:51 pm

Route Climbed: normal Date Climbed: 13 + 14th of July 2003

Didn't make it to the top, only up to 4750m because we didn't have the proper gear with us (crampons). Still it was a GREAT experience !

Viewing: 1-6 of 6
Return to 'Cotacachi' main page