Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.19935°N / 111.44811°W
Additional Information County: San Pete
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 10666 ft / 3251 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Cove Mountain is the highest point between the 2 main clusters of 11,000-foot peaks in the Wasatch Plateau. It has a prominence of about 380 feet and guards the southern edge of what is known as "The Cove," which is a pleasant cirque of meadows and tree clusters along shelves dropping successively into the canyon to the east.

Getting There

From Manti: Take 500 South to the east onto Manti Canyon Road (Forest Road 0045). Stay on this road for 14.2 miles. Take a right (South) onto Skyline Drive and drive 0.5 miles. Take a left (East) onto Forest Road 0061 and drive as far as you can (road becomes extremely rugged and rocky after 0.5 miles).

Route

From the saddle between the main ridge of the Wasatch Plateau and the peak, one can follow the OHV trail eastward onto the west shoulder of the peak. Once the incline increases, veer onto the game trail to southeast over a couple rises. After getting on the south shoulder of the summit, traverse up to the northeast to the summit.
Round-Trip Distance: 1.5 miles
Elevation Gain: 380 feet

Red Tape

US Forest Service manages this area. No permit is required. You can park near the restrooms in the southern part of the campground without any trouble. Practice "Leave No Trace" ethics. 

When to Climb

Year-round though a snowmobile, skis, and/or snowshoes would be extremely helpful in winter.

Camping

Lake Hill Campground is halfway between Skyline Drive and Ephraim. 2 group sites.
Manti Community Campground - halfway up Manti Canyon. Max 30 people, 6 vehicles. 
There are other undeveloped pullouts in the area.