Crater Lake

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 37.66900°N / 107.728°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scrambling
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

From the Andrews Lake trailhead at 10,744’, start walking south along the trail. The trail goes around the west side of Snowdon Peak. It initially climbs about 400’ above Andrews Lake before dropping down 200’. It then gradually ascends to Crater Lake at 11,600', but there are more ups-and-downs along the way. As you round Snowdon Peak, you’ll see North Twilight Peak for the first time to the south. The hiking distance to Crater Lake is about five miles. There are several good camping spots around Crater Lake. You’ll see the huge bulk of North Twilight Peak from here as it rises impressively above the lake.

Route Description

From Crater Lake, start walking on a faint path that goes around the east side of the lake. The path heads for a small saddle just southeast of the lake. There is a small pond at 11,750’ located at the saddle. The path ends here. Turn right, and start heading up the slope. Your goal is to head for the prominent East Ridge of North Twilight Peak. Do not confuse it with the more rugged Southeast Ridge. The climbing up to the base of the East Ridge is across mostly easy grassy slopes. As you approach the base of the ridge, you should be able to pick up a faint path. Climb up the path until it reaches the ridge. The path gets steep in places, but it isn’t very difficult. You’ll get your first view of Twilight Peak from here. North Twilight Peak is the highpoint furthest to the right. Turn right, and climb up a short distance to a prominent point on the ridge at an elevation of about 12,800’.

Start heading west on the ridge. The ridge is rugged in places, but it isn’t very difficult. There are some ups-and-downs, and one Class 3 notch that you will have to negotiate. Continue climbing up easy ground to reach the summit of North Twilight Peak.


Total Hiking Distance: About 15 miles round trip.
Elevation Gain: About 3,100’.




Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.