Crescent Mountain, Jefferson County, Colorado Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-13 of 13
runbyu1

runbyu1 - May 10, 2022 3:59 pm

Re: Fun Climb, miserable descent.

You need to go up the trail from Chapel in the Hills. It's pretty smooth. I was able to do it roundtrip in under 2 hours with very little bushwacking. There's fairly obvious trail 95% of the way.

runbyu1

runbyu1 - Apr 2, 2022 8:50 pm Date Climbed: Apr 2, 2022

Route up from Chapel in the Hills  Sucess!

1:01 up, 37:41 down without straining.
I discovered there is a fairly good trail that leaves from the "Chapel in the Hills" parking lot a bit further up Coal Creek Canyon. It is 2.1 miles to the summit. The starting elevation is approximately 7,565 feet. The trail is small, but there has been some work done on it, and there are cross markings on the rocks to keep you on track. There is a rock cairn and lookout with good views of the Continental Divide 2/3 of a mile and 700 feet up. From here the trail is clear and continues another 1/3 of a mile up to a saddle just above 8500 feet. This first mile is all contained with Coal Creek Canyon Park from what I can tell/see/read on maps.
After this the trail gradually becomes less clear as you climb a ridge and skirt around the right (south) flanks of a false summit, before a fun ridge hike and scramble combo for 1/2 mile to the summit. Good views of all of the Front Range 14ers and the Continental Divide from the top!
Full stats: 4.2 Miles, 2,116 feet climbed (1700ish up, 400ish back)
Took me 1 hour and 1 minute from car to summit, and 37:41 minutes down with a combination of power hiking, easy running, and scrambling.

RockyMountainAddict707

RockyMountainAddict707 - Apr 28, 2015 5:42 am Date Climbed: Jul 1, 2014

Fun Climb, miserable descent.  Sucess!

Personally, this is my least favorite climb out of all the peaks surrounding Coal Creek Canyon. After parking at the large turn-out immediately past La Duwaik Estates, I ascended directly up the gully on the southeast face for a few minutes. Then I made my way up to the prominent ridge to the left. I stayed on the top of the ridge the entire way up, and this involved class 4 and lower 5th class scrambling. The ascent had nice views and was fun in places, but it was very taxing (this was a hot summer day). The ridge leads to the lower south summit. This summit had the best views because there weren't any trees obstructing the view. Even though I continued north up the crescent ridge-top to the true summit, I wish I wouldn't have. It was extremely rough going, even more so than the ridge ascent due to thick undergrowth. My day was going OK until I started on the descent. I backtracked south from the true summit to the middle summit, and descended straight down the gully. I realized my horrible mistake after it was too late to climb back up. This was the most miserable, loose, scree and talus-filled gully I have ever descended. After 2 hours of agonizing descent, my legs started trembling because of the constant strain of balancing on softball-sized (and up to mini-fridge sized) rocks. It took me a little less than two hours to get up Crescent Mountain, but it took me almost 3 hours to descend. So whatever you do, DO NOT descend any of the gullies on the east-southeast face. You are much better off sticking to the ridge tops, although they are more technical.

My nickname for this mountain is "Hell Mountain" because of this experience. I will not climb the southeast face again, however, I'm planning on climbing neighboring Coal Creek Peak and making the traverse to Crescent this summer. Coal Creek Peak is a much better mountain IMO.

BradBartick

BradBartick - May 4, 2014 6:33 pm Date Climbed: Mar 22, 2015

Good rock  Sucess!

Using variations of the route somewhat described from the SE, it is intermittent class 3/4 terrain, perhaps harder if you like, with many options. Amazing how consistently climbable the gendarmes are, and most offer a nice exit. Descent sucked. The second time I did this peak, I approached from due south, probably on a few hundred feet of private property. Aim for the poles on the ridge proper. I tried to place cairns as I descended, which can be followed to the final ridge. It'd be more fun to scramble than ascend my descent line, though. The final 1/8 mile ridge is solid class 3/4' with a great setting. No trail at all to speak of. Loose rock but not bad exposure. If I go back, I'd repeat this route over the other.

McCannster

McCannster - Jun 26, 2013 6:19 pm Date Climbed: Jun 26, 2013

from Coal Creek Peak  Sucess!

Traversed over from Coal Creek Peak. Enjoyable ridge scramble, but the "descent gully" really sucked.

habaceeba

habaceeba - Jun 8, 2011 11:20 am Date Climbed: Jun 7, 2011

Fun ridges  Sucess!

Finally. After 7 attempts on 3 separate, challenging east facing ridges, I made it up.

MattK

MattK - Sep 10, 2010 2:06 pm Date Climbed: Apr 18, 2010

Jacks, Crescent, Coal Creek  Sucess!

The wife, pup and I left from the church on CO-72, and climbed these three peaks. There were hundreds and hundreds of lady bugs everywhere!

shknbke

shknbke - Jun 5, 2010 9:15 am Date Climbed: May 7, 2010

From Coal Creek Pk  Sucess!

A nice traverse from Coal Creek Peak to Jacks Peak from Hwy 72.

Brian Kalet

Brian Kalet - Apr 21, 2010 3:32 pm Date Climbed: Nov 9, 2009

From Coal Creek Peak  Sucess!

With Carter Benchmark, "Jacks Peak", Scar Top Mountain, Coal Creek Peak & 8140.

BigCountry

BigCountry - Oct 3, 2008 5:43 pm

Awesome climb  Sucess!

Fun but taxing scramble

Mountain Jim

Mountain Jim - Oct 1, 2008 5:33 pm Date Climbed: Feb 21, 1988

South Slopes  Sucess!

From Hiway 72 up the south slopes then traversed from Crescent Mountain To Eldorado Mountain then down to our other vehicle at Eldorado Springs.

Jeremy Hakes

Jeremy Hakes - May 22, 2008 2:06 pm

Congrats!

Cool. Glad you enjoyed it. Was my page of any assistance to you on it?

It sure is steep, good fun! We had to do a similar detour - we didn't feel comfortable free-soloing the 5th class stuff above.

Jeremy Hakes

Jeremy Hakes - Aug 2, 2007 4:57 pm Date Climbed: May 3, 2007

Scrambly fun  Sucess!

Steep scrambly fun.

Viewing: 1-13 of 13
Return to 'Crescent Mountain, Jefferson County, Colorado' main page