Crystal Peak Comments

Viewing: 1-20 of 47 « PREV 1 2 3 NEXT »

ScottUntitled Comment

Scott

Nice small peak, and a very interesting place. Did you happen to climb Fossil Mountain, the next one north? It's really cool too.
Posted Feb 7, 2006 8:50 pm

gjagiels

Thanks for the vote Scott, I will definately check out Fossil Mountain soon, lots of fossils I hear!
Posted Feb 7, 2006 9:15 pm

Thanks!
Posted Feb 7, 2006 9:16 pm

DeanUntitled Comment

You knew you could count on my vote for a Utah desert peak didn't you. Good stuff. Another in that area that I have been eying is Wah Wah Peak. You've done a really nice job with this one, keep em coming.
Posted Feb 7, 2006 9:30 pm

gjagiels

Thanks Dean, this is a very interesting peak, small but lots of fun and unlike anything I've ever seen before.
Posted Feb 7, 2006 10:17 pm

hgrapidUntitled Comment

hgrapid

Very good, HOWEVER, I have a few suggestions/questions:

1) When did you climb this mountain? You should label the date on some of the photos to give an idea of the time of year.

2) Is this mountain snakey? Seems like prime snake country.

3) Obviously this is a unique mountain, but it is isolated, and likely I wouldn't drive 3 hours from civilization to go 3 miles and 900 feet. What other hiking/climbing is there in the area? Maybe add that to the page.

All in all, a good start.
Posted Feb 7, 2006 9:40 pm

gjagiels

1) These pictures were taken in January this year, as stated in the When To Climb section snow doesn't accumulate on this mountain therefore it is rare to see snow on this peak. So regardless of the time of the year the peak looks the same unless there have been recent storms. Will add the date to the photos.

2) Yes, there are rattlesnakes around this peak but that goes for anywhere in the west on all peaks. (besides the higher ones). There are no more snakes out here than in the Wasatch less than a mile from Salt Lake City.

3) I was thinking about talking about nearby Fossil mountain but I hadn't made the trip there yet. The nice part of driving 3 hours from civilization is to get away from civilization and have complete solitude. The Great Basin National Park is a mere 45 miles away which offers much hiking, this would be a nice side trip.

Thanks for your vote and suggestions they are appreciated!
Posted Feb 7, 2006 10:16 pm

gjagiels

Another nice reason to drive out there is because in the winter there usually isn't snow on this peak. The other higher peaks do have snow, so this is a good year round hike and good for those who don' t like the snow. Thanks again!
Posted Feb 7, 2006 10:27 pm

gjagiels

Thank you Alan, I appreciate it. BTW, I really enjoyed your Mt. Moran video! :-)
Posted Feb 7, 2006 11:06 pm

vvujisicUntitled Comment

vvujisic

Beautiful job, gjagiels!
Posted Feb 8, 2006 12:09 am

gjagiels

Thanks Vlado! Looks like Sareni Pasovi (Stit) has some really interesting geology going on too! :-)
Posted Feb 8, 2006 12:41 am

Posted Feb 8, 2006 12:42 am

CoraxUntitled Comment

Corax

A very interesting page.
Posted Feb 8, 2006 1:03 am

gjagiels

Thanks Corax, I appreciate it! :-)
Posted Feb 8, 2006 1:51 am

Thanks!
Posted Feb 8, 2006 9:01 am

gjagiels

Thanks for your vote! :-)
Posted Feb 8, 2006 9:02 am

Thank you! :-)
Posted Feb 8, 2006 9:02 am

shanrickvUntitled Comment

shanrickv

Great page! I love all the pictures of the pumice rock.
Posted Feb 8, 2006 9:20 am

gjagiels

Thanks, I appreciate it! The pumice rock is really something, the pictures show it but seeing it in person is really something! :-)
Posted Feb 9, 2006 12:16 am

BobSmithUntitled Comment

BobSmith

Wow. Very strange terrain. The pumice "holes" look like extreme versions of the "eyebrows" on a handful of the eastern plutons here in the South.

Posted Feb 8, 2006 9:26 am