Culebra Peak Comments

Viewing: 41-60 of 76 « PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT »

GrantUntitled Comment

Grant

Thanks Jon for your vote. I compiled three months of research together and tried to explain it as simplistic as possible without writing a book.

As in the past the future for this peak will change and hopefully for the better of us hikers/climbers.

Posted Nov 13, 2003 11:21 pm

GrantUntitled Comment

Grant

You are right about Cuatro and Maxwell and eventually I will get around to changing the page.

Thanks for your comments, It took me three months to compile all of infomation and then I had to try and not make it into a novel.
Posted Nov 17, 2003 3:13 pm

RyanSUntitled Comment

RyanS

I read this page months back, but I wasn't into SP then and didn't vote. However, the information you've compiled here is most impressive, even on a second read. Particularly interesting to me is the New Mexican Land Grant section, which has some fine details.
Posted Dec 2, 2003 5:00 pm

GrantUntitled Comment

Grant

Ryan,

Thanks for your vote, and taking the time to read the page. I placed a link at the bottom of the Land Grant section that, if you are interested, depicts much more information on the Land Grants and the depressing history of how their lands were taken away.
Posted Dec 3, 2003 10:32 am

DeanUntitled Comment

If ever I've seen a 5 star page, this is it. Outstanding effort and really informative. I've picked up a few ideas that will help to improve my pages as your work has inspired me to do so. .

Posted Dec 21, 2003 9:00 am

GrantUntitled Comment

Grant

WOW! thanks for the comment. I don't know about five stars.

Again wow!, thanks for the vote and you may use whatever you need to help your mountains.
Posted Dec 22, 2003 10:37 am

DeanUntitled Comment

Well, there are many pages getting 4 stars that don't even come close to the quality of a page like this one and that is why the tongue in cheek 5 star rating. Alas, the highest I could give is 4 stars but I know a 5 star or better when I see one. : )
Posted Dec 22, 2003 6:01 pm

DigglerUntitled Comment

Diggler

You crazy- great page, with a lot of detail!
Posted Jan 29, 2004 2:44 pm

GrantUntitled Comment

Grant

Thanks for the vote, it's a little to much but I felt that this peak deserved more detail on it's history.
Posted Jan 30, 2004 10:35 am

LaraUntitled Comment

Lara

Grant, this is an amazing 6 star page! How cool that you included the important history of Taylor Ranch too! Did you hear the update about the land grant? “In early January, The U.S. Supreme Court let stand a 2002 Colorado Supreme Court ruling that restores grazing, timber-cutting and wood-gathering rights to about 1,000 landowners with deeds that date back to an 1844 Mexican land grant”( Rocky Mtn. News).

There is also an interesting interview with attorney Jeff Goldstein (who represented the locals pro-bono for over 20 years) archived online at the Colorado Matters radio program website (search at the site for the Jan 19 program).

Posted Jan 29, 2004 3:23 pm

GrantUntitled Comment

Grant

Wow, what an excellent link. Now that man is the guy to talk to about the history of the Taylor ranch, although I noticed he was leaving out some of the details when it favored the Taylors. Thanks for the vote and the link, I will incorporate into the page.

Grant
Posted Jan 30, 2004 11:07 am

GrantUntitled Comment

Grant

Thanks for stopping by and voting. Grant
Posted Jan 30, 2004 10:36 am

Larry VUntitled Comment

Larry V

Very informative page. Thank you!
Posted Feb 10, 2004 7:52 pm

GrantUntitled Comment

Grant

Thanks Larry for the vote, and welcome to SP.
Posted Feb 10, 2004 10:07 pm

ScottUntitled Comment

Scott

Holy cow, the wild west is really still the wild west here at Culebra. Interesting history.
Posted Mar 15, 2004 12:00 pm

The Lower MarmotUntitled Comment

The Lower Marmot

This page is excellent; the history detailed brings it far above and beyond the average SummitPost page. I had some problems with the links at the top of the page, however, you might want to look at them and delete them if they are obsolete. The middle one worked, but the other 2 wouldn't. Thanks!

Edit 5/18: The links work great! Thanks for the updates.
Posted May 17, 2004 9:55 pm

GrantUntitled Comment

Grant

Thanks for the wonderful comments. Also thanks for the update on the links. I went through all the links and updated the ones that needed it.
Posted May 18, 2004 11:09 pm

tloganUntitled Comment

tlogan

great stuff!
Posted Jun 21, 2004 4:20 pm

GrantUntitled Comment

Grant

A wild mountain and getting wilder every day. Thanks for the vote.
Posted Jun 23, 2004 1:04 am

CharlesDUntitled Comment

CharlesD

I stumbled upon this page and learned the surprisingly twisted an, it seems, acrimonious history of Culebra. So much for being a harmless snake! It seems that every list of high points (be they 14ers or states) has at least one where access is the hardest part of the climb. Anyway, bravo for an excellent and exhaustive summary of the current situation. I'll concentrate on less acrimonious mountains for now.
Posted Jul 14, 2004 10:34 am