Dart Glacier

Dart Glacier

... seen along the trail between Dart Hut and Cascade Saddle, just west of the saddle proper. Cascade Saddle sees a lot of visitors considering its remote location. The reason for that is because it's only a few hours hiking from Dart Hut, the half way point on the popular 4-day Rees-Dart tramp. So, if you're not tired yet, you can visit it on afternoon of the second day, or early on the third. And quite a few people simply plan an extra day, just for views like these! Another way to get here is to come up over Cascade Saddle from the Matukituki valley. This is a more difficult route, and if you don't return to the Matukituki valley but continue to Dart Hut and beyond, along the Dart or Rees river, you'll end up in Glenorchy a few days later, and by road that's far away from where you started. Mount Aspiring National Park, New Zealand.
rgg
on Apr 17, 2011 8:08 am
Image Type(s): Hiking,  Scenery
Image ID: 710311

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-5 of 5
silversummit

silversummit - Apr 17, 2011 9:56 pm - Voted 10/10

I can see why people hike to this!

This area reminds me of the Alps, Glacier National Park, and Alaska all in one. This is definitely one of your best from the park.

rgg

rgg - Apr 18, 2011 5:08 am - Hasn't voted

Re: I can see why people hike to this!

Thanks! I like this one very much too.

As for the photo itself, I find it hard, no, impossible to look at it objectively. Whenever I look at it, it's colored by the experience that goes with it. And that day, hiking over Cascade Saddle with glorious weather, was definitely one of the highlights of the whole trip in New Zealand.

And so, when I was back home, I used it as my screen saver for a long time. Whenever I started my computer, I got this reminder :)

By the way, I haven't been to GNP or Alaska. I would like to go there some day though ...

Tomek Lodowy

Tomek Lodowy - Apr 22, 2011 5:21 pm - Voted 10/10

ice monster

that looks unbelievably great!

Tomek

rgg

rgg - Apr 23, 2011 8:09 am - Hasn't voted

Re: ice monster

It sure is, and a dangerous too, with all these hanging glaciers. I don't want to climb under there!

However, from looking at the map, I believe that there is probably a good route up there by following the glacier up as it turns right (leaving the view from this picture). The contours on the map are closer together higher up, but not impossible. Eventually, you should be able to reach the ridge. From there it's going to be interesting to try and follow it - if you're lucky, maybe even as far as Mount Edward, which is the massive bulk in the left of the photo. From some of my other pictures and by looking at the map again, I see no easy way down from Mount Edwards back to the starting point, but it should be possible to descend over the Whitbourn glacier to the west. It's going to be a very long day ...

You can have a look for yourself on NZTopomaps.

Tomek Lodowy

Tomek Lodowy - Apr 23, 2011 8:50 am - Voted 10/10

Re: ice monster

Great, so informative answer. Thanks Rgg!

Tomek

Viewing: 1-5 of 5