Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 36.76199°N / 116.94629°W
Additional Information County: Inyo
Activities Activities: Hiking, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 4390 ft / 1338 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Daylight Butte from the northeastDaylight Butte from the northeast
The Daylight Pass area (Hwy 374) is one of the best places to access desert peaks in Death Valley National Park. Many of them, not far from the road, are unnamed on maps like Daylight Butte. They can all be dayhiked and have fine views to boot.
This is a small shapely peak less than a mile west of Hwy. 374, 2 miles south of Daylight Pass. It has only 200' of prominence to the north but has a commanding identity of it's own. I couldn't help but notice it from the road several times going over the pass. It can be easily climbed in a few hours and has a fun little class 2 summit.

Getting There

Last light on peaks near Daylight PassEast from Daylight Butte
From Stovepipe Wells in Death Valley go 7 miles on Hwy. 190 and turn left at the junction going north. Go a half mile north and turn right on Hwy. 374 (the road to Beatty NV). Go about 10.7 miles and park on the side of the road.

From Furnace Creek in Death Valley go north on Hwy. 190 11 miles to the Beatty Cutoff road. Go right 10 miles to Hells Gate and take Hwy. 374 about 4 miles and park off the road.

From Beatty NV go west 15.5 miles on Hwy. 374 over the pass and park off the road.

Directions to peak: Scramble northwest up a wash or traverse along a slope to the north to the obvious pointed peak in less than a mile. Take the southeast slope to the summit.

Red Tape

Funeral Mountains at sunsetFuneral Mtns. at sunset from Daylight Butte



There is a 20 dollar entrance fee per vehicle based on the honor system for Death Valley National Park good for 7 days.

Camping

Death Valley from the eastDeath Valley from below Daylight Butte
Corkscrew Peak from Daylight ButteCorkscrew Peak at sunset from Daylight Butte
For Death Valley National Park campgrounds click here.

You can also car camp outside the DV park boundaries on the unpaved road to Chloride Cliffs. Go 4.5 miles from Daylight Pass towards Beatty. Turn right (south) and go as far as you like to find a place off the road. 2 wheel drive ok.

Death Valley weather forecast

Daylight Butte from the southeastDaylight Butte from the southeast
Daylight Butte, right,  from Death ValleyDaylight Butte, right, from Death Valley
For the current weather a 5 day forecast click here.