Viewing: 1-20 of 26 « PREV 1 2 NEXT »

KlenkeUntitled Comment

Klenke

Stupid name for a peak even if it does have a rhyme to it. But nice page nonetheless.

Power County, eh? Is the name from some guy by that name or does the county have a lot of power plants in it?
Posted Mar 20, 2005 12:31 pm

DeanUntitled Comment

Yeah, stupid names for peaks. Lake mountain, Trout Lake mountain, and the like, they all suck. The mountain range is called the Deep Creek range but why not give the highest peak a real name? It looks like at one time it was called Knox Peak but I guess Knox must have fallen on bad times or he got his hands on Molly's u know what or committed some crime and they punished the poor guy by changing the name (and thereby punished us all) Thanks for your vote.
Posted Mar 20, 2005 12:55 pm

nebbenUntitled Comment

nebben

I keep thinking of Max Power with this one!

ha
Posted Mar 21, 2005 11:35 am

brendonUntitled Comment

brendon

Nice pics. One of my first peaks to summit (13 years old.)
Posted Mar 20, 2005 3:57 pm

ScottUntitled Comment

Scott

I take it your after all the county highpoints in the Western US?
Posted Mar 20, 2005 5:28 pm

DeanUntitled Comment

Hey, thanks Dennis. Your weekend reminded me a little of how fickle the weather has been on many of our trips during the past year but this peak held off from dumping on us during our brief visit. I really don't like thunderstorms. I can deal with rain, just not them big electric bolts that nature can throw at us.
Posted Mar 20, 2005 8:05 pm

wildstarUntitled Comment

wildstar

Good to see you highpointers in action. Nice page.
Posted Mar 20, 2005 9:43 pm

DeanUntitled Comment

Thank you for the vote and comments. Yeah, highpointing keeps us busy and traveling to areas we normally wouldn't normally go to or even know about. Its been quite the eye opener.
Posted Mar 20, 2005 9:45 pm

DeanUntitled Comment

Thanks for adding the source for the name of Power county. I enjoyed our visit to American Falls, always a pleasant town and probably about the third time I had been there. I appreciate the vote and the comments. Do you know of any campgrounds in the area? I couldn't find any in my search but perhaps you can add a little info or local color.
Posted Mar 21, 2005 12:02 am

brendonUntitled Comment

brendon

More on Power County history:

American Falls general History

History of the Dam a Reservior

Massacre Rocks and the Oregon Trail
Posted Mar 21, 2005 3:52 pm

Gangolf HaubUntitled Comment

Gangolf Haub

Good page once again Dean! And again a peak that is surrounded by private property which you cannot pass. I always thought the US was the land of the free - lots of space and you're free to go anywhere you want. As opposed to Europe. But is seems I have been mistaken and it is the other way around.
Posted Mar 21, 2005 1:40 am

RobUntitled Comment

Rob

Nice job!
Posted Mar 21, 2005 2:06 am

DeanUntitled Comment

Thank you Rob.
Posted Mar 21, 2005 8:59 am

Johan HeersinkUntitled Comment

Johan Heersink

Good page, with complete information!
Posted Mar 21, 2005 3:50 am

mtwashingtonmonroeUntitled Comment

mtwashingtonmonroe

Wonderful page Dean!!! All the lush green colors make me yearn for Spring to get hear. Great job and thanks for sharing!

-Britt
Posted Mar 21, 2005 10:05 am

DeanUntitled Comment

Thank you Britt. I can tell you that this area of Idaho was being well watered since one storm after another had rolled through the area all of June which helps to make for lots of green. Spring is indeed, just around the corner. Your vote and comments are appreciated.
Posted Mar 21, 2005 10:35 am

DeanUntitled Comment

Biglost had this comment about how Power county got its name:

"Power County - Named for the American Falls Resevoir Power Plant. American Falls was the first settlement in the county and was a frequent camping place on the Oregon Trail."

Thank you for the vote.
Posted Mar 21, 2005 11:59 am

Don NelsenUntitled Comment

Don Nelsen

Good one, Dean! Complete and with great photos.
Posted Mar 21, 2005 9:58 pm

DeanUntitled Comment

Thank you Don. As you can see, our county highpointing have taken us to places that we normally would not have had the pleasure of visiting. This was a neat surprise and the second peak on the same day, about 100 miles apart. Idaho is a neat state, lots of great stuff.
Posted Mar 21, 2005 10:25 pm

Joseph BulloughUntitled Comment

Joseph Bullough

Nice submission Dean.

By the way, congratulations on cracking the 1000-point mark :)
Posted Mar 24, 2005 10:45 am