Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Nov 30, 0000
Activities Activities: Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring

Add Heading Here

This trip was our second trip to the Deep Creek Range. Lats year we ascended and skied from the summit of Haystack peak. This season the goal was to ski from the County high point of Ibapah Peak.
Red Sky


The approach to the trail head was made via motorcycles equipped with ski racks. Once we arrived at the trail head, we loaded up the packs with skis, boots, and a bit of food and water. We soon realized that there was not enough snow on Ibapah to continue with our initial plan, as Red Mtn. was showing lines that looked inviting, we shifted focus.
Want to ski?


The initial trail was relatively easy to follow, but eventually disappeared. Not much human traffic in this wild range. There was a bit of bushwhacking involved, but as we suspected, we found continuous snow that allowed us to put on the skis for the final push.
Time to skin


The travel became much more pleasant once we were able to skin, eventually reaching a pass at roughly 10,000 ft elevation, we could see that skiing a line that we looked at earlier was a real possibility, we also realized that skiing the chosen line would end with the added benefit of not having to carry our skis as far on the return. This area felt extremely remote.
Summit in reach


From the pass, the ridge to the summit appeared. From here, it should be a easy skin, with a bit of booting to the summit. However this summit did not give up easily, strong winds and blowing snow made it feel like a winter ascent.
Wasn t giving in easily


The summit was worth the effort, as they all are.
Ready to ski

Friends on Summit


Now all that remained was 3000 ft of spring skiing and the walk out
Skiing of the Summit


Even though we did not reach the intended summit, this was a great day spent in one of Utah's mystic, and seldom visited areas. We will be back for another attempt on skiing from the High Point of the county.
Ibapah

Looking toward Ibapah

Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.