Desert Voices Route

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.47500°N / 109.247°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: A long day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 3
Sign the Climber's Log

Getting There

To get to the trailhead, you must first drive to the Dinosaur Quarry Visitor Center in Dinosaur National Monument, which is east of Vernal. Use a Utah Road map for the drive. After obtaining updated information from the visitor center, drive east on the Blue Mountain Road and turn left at sign for the Split Mountain Campground. The Desert Voices Nature Trail starts across the street from the campground. Park here.

The Desert Voices Route is...The Desert Voices Route is marked with the blue line.



Route Description

A topo map is needed to follow this route. There is no trail after leaving the Desert Voices Nature Trail at Cottonwood Wash. From the trailhead, follow either loop of the Desert Voices Nature Trail (the northern branch is shorter). Instead of making the loop, head west up Cottonwood Wash when the loop trail begins to backtrack. Follow Cottonwood Wash until it turns right (north) and cuts into Split Mountain. This is about 2.4 miles fom the trailhead. Hike up to the ridge to the west of Cottonwood Wash. If you have a GPS, this is at N 40*26'59.482" and W 109*16'57.362". Follow the ridge-line north until you reach the wide main west-east ridge of Split Mountain. This is at N 40*28'39.455" and W 109*16'16.629". Follow the main ridge east to the summit. The summit is 6.4 miles from the trailhead. Enjoy one of the most spectacular views anywhere. The Green River is 2500 feet below and to the south. Much of the drop is dead vertical.

Eastern summit of Split...astern summit of Split Mountain as viewed from South Split Mountain.

Essential Gear

A good pair of boots and all the normal hiking gear is needed.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.