Devils Tower, Wyoming

Devils Tower, Wyoming

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Rock Climbing

Devils Tower climb

American legends tell of Sioux girls who were picking flowers. When bear appeared the girls ran towards a small rock and prayed for protection. The Great Spirit raised the ground beneath the girls. The bear tried to climb the rock, but fell off, leaving his scratch marks on the sides.

Climbing - hundreds of cracks divide the Tower into large columns, making it one of the finest traditional crack climbing areas in North America. Technical difficulties range from 5.7 to 5.13, although many climbers consider the older routes such as the Durrance and Wiessner harder than the original ratings imply.

All persons planning to climb or scramble above the boulder field are required to register before, and immediately after climbing each day. The climber registration office offers information of weather forecast, approach and descent routes, current hazards, falcon closure updates. There is a lawsuit going on between Native American tribes and climbers regarding closure of the mountain for climbers, but up to this date the tower is open. Some climbers do not climb in June when Native Americans perform their ceremonies.

External Links

National Park Service Info

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-1 of 1
Liba Kopeckova

Liba Kopeckova - Jul 6, 2009 3:05 am - Hasn't voted

Re: June Closures

Thanks for the detailed info. I climbed the tower in May, so I was still ok. I think that it is a difficult issue to be solved. What about climbers from Europe who come to USA for a short time and would like to climb it. Also the climbing season in north eastern Wyoming is not so long.... I had to wait for nearly a week in May. It was raining every day.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.