cp0915Looks great.

cp0915

Sounds like a neat area - hafta check it out sometime.
Posted Mar 23, 2006 9:23 pm

ScottRe: Looks great.

Scott

Thanks. I wasn't finished quite yet. Now check out the page.
Posted Mar 23, 2006 9:55 pm

cp0915Re: Looks great.

cp0915

Even better!
Posted Mar 23, 2006 10:44 pm

ScottRe: excellent page!

Scott

I don't have many good ones, but Mark McCray had some good ones from our Pool Creek trip, if I can find the disc. The rock shows up in the below photo:

Photo

Below is a much better photo (see bottom of page):

Steamboat Rock

Here is another angle (see top of page):

Steamboat Rock
Posted Mar 27, 2006 6:36 pm

rpcRe: excellent page!

rpc

thanks a lot Scott. Dramatic-looking formation!
Posted Mar 27, 2006 9:53 pm

wuedesauGreat area!

wuedesau

Very fine reading and excellent photos!
Posted Mar 27, 2006 11:38 am

SteamboatClimberNice page.

SteamboatClimber

I have a ton of pictures from this area, as we seem to end up there a few weekends each year. Now I just have to find them.
Posted Mar 28, 2006 4:13 am

Dave KOh boy...

Dave K

another area to explore! I've been there once but didn't even begin to scratch the surface. Nice job Scott!
Posted May 11, 2007 11:48 am

merrillMemories

merrill

I grew up in Vernal and saw many of the easily accessed areas. This page makes me want to return to explore some of the more secret areas of the Park. If you get a chance, go up Dry Fork Canyon Northwest from Vernal to see the petroglyphs at McConkie Ranch. It's especially interesting for any one that is Christian since the main part depicts what is believed to be the Christian godhead.
Thanks, Steve
Posted Feb 10, 2008 4:14 pm

dnparadiceecho park cg

dnparadice

dont go there in July without a mosquito net its horrible.
Posted Aug 28, 2008 12:02 am

benjydanielDinosaur Adventures

benjydaniel

There are relatively few trails developed in Dinosaur National Monument, compared to it's breathtaking scenery and large size. The main attraction to dinosaur now is the river, particularly areas such as steamboat rock and the canyon of Lador. If you are a river runner, look that up, it's not worth missing. However, the potential for dinosaur to be a major backpacking destination is huge. Right now, a friend and i are working on developing routes in the area. I will be posting each route we complete. For anyone looking for adventure, this is the place to go. It is some of the most remote area in the lower 48. Not even people who have worked on the park for years really know anything about the park beyond the river and echo park. There is virtually no information available about anything on the park. There are places on the park that no one knows about and no one has ever visited -- canyons, peaks, platues, springs.Thus, guided by my GPS, my friend and I head into the unknown exploring the remote areas of the park where there is no evidence anyone has ever been there. Anyone can experience this, but be warned, haha, it is an unforgiving area that does not allow for much to go wrong. We've had to abort several expeditions.

I would encourage any backpacker looking for solitude, breathtaking landscapes, scenery, challange, and adventure to begin exploring dinosaur. The area can be developed. It is truly a gem.

I have posted an album with pictures of the dinosaur monument titled "burnt springs attempt" on this page. The URL is: http://www.summitpost.org/album/524147/burnt-springs-attempt.html

I will also create pages on the area once we have completed satisfactory routes, complete with GPS coordinates, directions, the whole nine yards.

For detailed info on the park we have tried contacting every office, rangers, and general info, connected to the park with few results. If you have information regarding the dinosaur backcountry, please post (via comment, page, or phone# if appropriate)
Posted Jun 25, 2009 3:10 am

camburnsDesert Select

camburns

Yup, my book has the classic Kor route in it. What's his name..the Diamond ranger has done a bunch of routes in Dinosaur. They're in old editions of the AAJ. Cammo
Posted Jun 25, 2009 11:46 pm