Dollarhide Mountain

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 43.60910°N / 114.6817°W
Additional Information Elevation: 9301 ft / 2835 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


Dollarhide Mountain is located in the central Smoky Mountains of central Idaho.
Phi Kappa photo_id=181126


Dollarhide Mountain is more of a highpoint along a ridge than a peak. Its somewhat bland appearence leaves a lot to be desired.

It is located directly along the main crest of Smoky Mountains. It has a tree and sage covered summit and is in a quite remote location; nearly 30 miles from any town.

Although it may be isolated from any towns, its close proximity to Dollarhide Summit on Warm Springs Road makes this a fun, short hike for anyone wishes to get a quick peak under their belts.

Getting There


To access Dollarhide Mountain from Ketchum, Idaho, drive to the north side of town and turn onto Warm Springs Road. Follow this road through subdivisions and past ski lifts until it turns to a good gravel road.

Continue along Warm Spings Road for 30 miles on occasional rough dirt road conditions until reaching Dollarhide Summit at 8,700'. Park on the north side of the pass.

South Ridge


Route Stats
  • Total Mileage:2.25
  • Total Elevation Gain:600'
  • Class:II
    From the parking area at the top of Dollarhide Summit. Park and walk the rest of the road to top of a small hill where the road becomes a faint trail.

    Hike this trail, which has fairly good footing, to the top of Pt. 9,178. The trail disapears at this point and it is an easy ridge walk to the summit of Dollarhide Mountain. Enjoy wonderful views of the vast Idaho wilderness at the top.

    Red Tape


    No red tape or permits required in this area.

    Warm Springs Road is plowed to Warfield Hot Springs in winter, quite a ways from Dollarhide Summit.

    When To Climb


    Dollarhide Mountain is climbable as soon as Dollarhide Summit opens. However, due to large amounts of snow recieved in winter, in some years, this may not happen until mid-July.

    A winter ascent would only be made difficult by the long approach required from Warfield Hot Springs where Warm Springs Road is plowed to during winter.

    Camping


    There are countless camping spots but no campgrounds along Warm Springs Road. There is also some room, albeit little privacy, to camp at Dollarhide Summit.

    Mountain Conditions


    Dollarhide Mountain is quite isolated and not located near any major reporting stations but the Dollarhide Summit SNOTEL is located very near the actual summit.

    The following links also provide excellent information on local conditions.




    Sawtooth Avalanche Center- Gives daily avalanche reports during winter.

  • Idaho Outdoors Forum- Frequent reports of local conditions and climbs in the area.

  • Sawtooth National Forest Website- Provides information on road closures, wildfires, and other current happenings in the area.

    External Links




  • Parents 

    Parents

    Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

    Smoky Mountains (ID)Mountains & Rocks