Dolomites Comments

Viewing: 1-20 of 32 « PREV 1 2 NEXT »

Mathias ZehringUntitled Comment

Mathias Zehring

Hello Marco,

this is a good start for a great work as you already wrote. Im sure you are and will still be working on it.

This site will perfectly fit into a new structure of mountain groups of the alps. But there are some definitions that need to be cleared:

1. demarcation of the Dolomites:

I would be glad if we could use the definitions of the alpine clubs of germany, austria and south tyrol about the groups of the alps. I have just scanned the map, you can see it on my website

According to this definitions, the Brenta is not part of the Dolomites - and there is already a page about these mountains! I know, in geological matter Brenta of course consits of Dolomites rock, but in geographical matter it is very clerely separated by the valley of the Adige/Etsch.

To the east, Peralba and Hohe Warte are, according to this division, part of the Karnische Alpen/Alpi Carniche.

I hope you can get to like this systematic. In the long run, it will be a goal to have such an overview page for each mountain group (at least these with interesting mountains to climb)

2. subdivision of the Dolomites

As the Dolomites are such a huge and complex mountain groups, there is a need for a subdivision. Your page has already started with that. I looked in some books and found several which slightly differ. On my website (scroll down, dolomites are group Nr. 52!) I have already a proposal. A translation to english still has to be done and also a map.

Part of the group page should of course be a list of links to the mountains that are already on SP (in case of the Dolomites there are Tre Cime di Lavaredo, Marmolada, and Sasso Piatto, and more?).

I think, we should continue discussion on the message board!

Best regards, Mathias

Posted Feb 25, 2002 1:52 pm

ben jamminUntitled Comment

ben jammin

Hi marco,

You've created another nice overview page, which is useful to put mountains within a region in context.

It would be useful to include a list of the main peaks (and links to their SP pages) once everyone has decided how exactly to define the Dolomites group / massif / region / whatever.

BTW: Why the appostrophe ' in DOLOMITES' ? I would have thought it would just be DOLOMITES.

*vote updated*
Posted Feb 25, 2002 11:20 pm

Rahel Maria LiuUntitled Comment

Rahel Maria Liu

Hi Marco,

great page!! I think in the end, that means, if we finished our discussions in the Europe board concerning the subdivisions of the dolomites and the european Alps in general, you should add a list of all sub-groups of the dolomites like Sextener Dolomites, Sella-group, Schlern-Massif etc. Maybe you could combine such a list somehow with the list of the maps. As I wrote in the Europe board, I am not sure whether we need the distinction between eastern and western dolomites. Concerning the Brenta-group, I do not have a final opinion whether to call them 'dolomites' or not. Maybe you can name them on this page with a question mark and summarize further discussions on the Europe board about this topic whether to call them dolomites or not if there will appear new arguments.

Please add still some book titles. Your links are great!

Keep up the good work!

Cheers, Rahel
Posted Feb 28, 2002 8:01 am

mpbroUntitled Comment

mpbro

Wow, nice page! A map here is crucial. Even a hand-drawn map would suffice. Just something that shows the relative locations and sizes of the "mountain groups" that you have listed.

It is nice that people are adding more of these excellent non-mountain pages.
Posted Mar 6, 2002 5:05 pm

steelemanUntitled Comment

steeleman

nice page, great idea.
Posted Jul 7, 2002 8:53 pm

OBIJUANKENOBI71Untitled Comment

OBIJUANKENOBI71

Great. Great page Marco!!!!
Posted Jul 8, 2002 1:28 am

PommesUntitled Comment

Pommes

a lot of material. thanks.
Posted Oct 23, 2002 8:05 am

kullabergUntitled Comment

kullaberg

awesome. very impressive work.

thanks!!
Posted Nov 30, 2002 9:47 am

Aaron JohnsonUntitled Comment

Aaron Johnson

Outstanding. Great page and photos, extensive and well written text. Breaking the text into paragraphs makes it easier to read on my tired ol' eyes, and Morgan's suggestion of a map for orientation is a good one. But this page is a winner!
Posted Aug 1, 2003 11:50 pm

El Tigre ValderramaUntitled Comment

El Tigre Valderrama

Very good information, good job.
Posted Aug 29, 2003 6:18 pm

gabrieleUntitled Comment

gabriele

ho visto che hai già fatto la divisione in sottoinsiemim, adesso però perchè non la divisione in gruppi veri e propri ?

es : Catinaccio-Latemar , Pale di S.Martino- Agner, Civetta e Pelmo ecc ecc ?

tanto ormai si tratta di aggiungere qualche sezione :)

daiiii :)
Posted Dec 21, 2003 4:34 am

Johan HeersinkUntitled Comment

Johan Heersink

Nice and informative page Marco.
Posted Feb 25, 2004 6:36 am

Larry VUntitled Comment

Larry V

Very nice job, Marco. I can tell you know a lot about the Dolomites and have put in a lot of work on this page. If I ever get there, your information will be very valuable. My only suggestion would be to break up some of the long paragraphs, to improve readability.
Posted Feb 28, 2004 12:13 pm

RachelUntitled Comment

Rachel

The information you have here is incredible, truly a 4 star page. Thanks for sharing, Cheers!
Posted Mar 17, 2004 9:11 pm

Rafa BartolomeUntitled Comment

Rafa Bartolome

I vote your pages as well. It is marvellous that thanks to Internet I could visit the Dolomites and you the Pyrenees without moving of home.
Posted Mar 27, 2004 1:04 pm

DeanUntitled Comment

Wow, what a great page. The information you have provided is mind boggling. I can tell you really love this area as it shows in the effort you've put into this one.
Posted Mar 27, 2004 1:23 pm

tloganUntitled Comment

tlogan

This is really a superb page... fantastic effort... a superior job!
Posted Apr 1, 2004 4:04 pm

Vid PogachnikUntitled Comment

Vid Pogachnik

Your page of Dolomites is really great, Marco! I haven't voted so far, because of my strict opinion of the purpose of group pages. I see you haven't participated in the recent discussion about the structure of Dolomites pages. It is here and it was fruitful. Many authors started to work on Dolomites region (Gabriele, Gangolf, Kletterwebi ...).

So I'm asking you if you would agree to support such structure on your overall Dolomites page. We have one general page, some group pages, several summit pages. But it's fine if all information on these pages is coordinated. So I would suggest you to introduce Dolomites with a map, showing mountain groups and if you do an interactive map, like I just did on Julian Alps, it would be fantastic. Links would bring visitors further to group pages (Ampezzo Dolomites, Geisler/Puez, Langkofel, Civetta etc.) and from there to summits.

What do you think?
Posted Apr 3, 2004 8:52 am

Vid PogachnikUntitled Comment

Vid Pogachnik

Marco, I can try, but first we must agree on Dolomites subgroups. Please discuss it on Europe forum (thread)!

Cheers!