Dome Peak Comments

Rahel Maria LiuUntitled Comment

Rahel Maria Liu

Hi Robert,

great page! Congratulations! I would only like to know in the overview where you are talking about the routes how difficult and long the routes are. Maybe you could add a little bit info.

Regards, Rahel
Posted Jan 19, 2002 10:57 am

Bob BoltonUntitled Comment

Bob Bolton

Thanks! Coming from you, I'll take that as a welcome compliment. I'm sure you can tell that I'm not half the climber you are! :-)

I will put some thought into describing the difficulty of the approaches. As I mentioned, it's quite remote for a US mountain, and there are no "easy" ways to get to it. I have actually been anxious to write about one of the approaches, known as the Ptarmigan Traverse, and I've asked Josh about adding a feature for routes and trails, not only mountains and massifs. He seemed interested at the time, but we can't expect too much from him I realize! Maybe I'll write up an outline of the traverse in an added section, then when he adds the routes feature I'll complete that job.

Thanks for your interest! Will you be coming to climb in the US anytime soon?

Bob

Posted Jan 19, 2002 11:16 pm

Rahel Maria LiuUntitled Comment

Rahel Maria Liu

Hi Bob,

we have had a discussion about that in the forum Europe ( "groups" and "massifs" ... ) John Scoles gave a very good statement, I think. So for very big traverses, we should count them as kind of "ridge massif" and make an own page (compare Nadelgrat and Jubiläumsgrat), especially if we do not want to make an own page on every peak (like in these both cases). But if we have mountainpages on every summit of a traverse, we could add the traverse to one mountain (like Traverse Vincent Pyramide - Signalkuppe as a route of the Vincent Pyramide).

As Josh wrote on the board, it will be easy to change a mountain-page to a massif-page, you now have only to decide whether you want to make a "mountain"-page (which could be changed in the future to a "ridge massif"-page) or a routes-page on this traverse.

Regards, Rahel
Posted Jan 20, 2002 8:24 am

DeanUntitled Comment

Excellent page of one of the most beautiful mountains in the cascades and one of the most unknown ones.
Posted Dec 24, 2002 8:27 am

kletterwebbiUntitled Comment

kletterwebbi

Interesting mountain, good page.
Posted Jan 23, 2003 4:29 am

vertxUntitled Comment

vertx

Well done again! And with a signature photo!
Posted Mar 19, 2004 9:15 pm

ScottUntitled Comment

Scott

Awsome page with awsome photos.
Posted Apr 15, 2004 7:32 pm

BobSmithUntitled Comment

BobSmith

Great page.

Posted May 21, 2004 9:01 pm

Brian JenkinsThis is a great page, Bob....

Brian Jenkins

but it sure could use a detailed route page. What grade of climb? need to rope up on the glacier, etc? Let me know if you add it sometime. Thanks!
Posted Feb 7, 2007 5:08 pm

Bob BoltonRe: This is a great page, Bob....

Bob Bolton

It's a fair criticism Brian - thanks. I have always felt rather inept at writing route descriptions, so when I put up those early mountain pages way back when (almost six years ago now - wow!!), I hoped that others would write routes for them. That worked in many cases, but still hasn't worked for Dome. I'll try to put something together. This is a great peak, and it would be good to provide the information it deserves.

Quick answers for now: To my knowledge there's no 3rd class rock route (or easier) that doesn't also require roped glacier travel. Both glaciers (Chikamin and Dome) have crevasses. Some people use a rope on the summit ridge while others don't. I didn't use a rope for the summit ridge on either trip, but we did rope up on the Dome and Chikamin glaciers. The summit ridge is 3rd class rock. -Bob
Posted Feb 7, 2007 11:56 pm