Draga - Rudina - Golem Krchin

Draga - Rudina - Golem Krchin

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 41.57927°N / 20.56541°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This page describes route from Draga place to Rudina peak and then Golem Krchin peak.
Krchin mountain is small but beautiful mountain in Western Macedonia, on Macedonian-Albanian border. Highest peak is Golem Krchin (2341m). Other peaks are Rudina (2238m) and Crvena Plocha (2107m), all interesting rock and grass mixes, very attractive.

Getting There

You can get to Draga - starting point of this route if you go by Skopje - Mavrovo - Debar road. When you go from Mavrovo Lake to Debar, turn right 1 km after the St. Joakim Bigorski monastery, in direction to villages Rostushe and Bitushe. After Bitushe village narrow asphalt road continues 1 km to place called Draga (1130m) - there is football playground and old military whatchtower.

Route Description

From Draga there route goes by the Bitushka river and after 10 minutes goes left (south). It is very fine wood path which takes you over few small meadows to the 1800m height, where is the top area of wood. Ala the time in front of you is mighty wall of Krcinska Krasta rock.
Krchinska KrastaKrchinska Krasta

From that place a can be seen beautiful landscape with Rudina peak on the left side. Route goes left on the same height (1800-1830m). You will meet firs a small orthodox church, and after than a shepherd's hut. If you go in summer - when shepherds are there - you will be invited inside to try some milk, cheese and to chat a little with these good and friendly people.
Rudina peakShepherd's hut under Rudina

After that begins rocky path which traverses under Rudina peak, so you will reach south-eastern ridge. Form that point go directly toward peak - it is a steep grassy slopes in beginning, and rock blocks after.
Rudina peakTo Rudina peak

From Rudina peak you can see Golem Krchin, Golema Plocha peak, Stogovo mountain, Debar's Lake and deep in albanian side.
Crvena Ploca peakView from Rudina peak

You should be careful descending Rudina, go from the left (western) side in direction to Golem Krchin. Left (eastern) part are very steep and unstable rocks. When you reach saddle between Rudina and Golem Krchin, then it's easy - just follow the ridge.

Essential Gear

Equipment for peaks over 2000 m. Even in summer you should take wind-proof jacket, gloves. On winter conditions you should have ice-axe and crampons.

External Links

Makpetrol mountineering club (on Macedonian)

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

KrchinRoutes