Drawstring, 5.7

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 34.01400°N / 116.163°W
Additional Information Route Type: Trad Climbing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: 5.7 (YDS)
Additional Information Difficulty: 5.7
Additional Information Number of Pitches: 2
Additional Information Grade: I
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Route Topo
Southwest Face of Intersection Rock


Drawstring is the name of a route on Intersection Rock in Joshua Tree National Park, California.



Intersection Rock is an interesting formation. Its north face is steep with a few crack systems and it faces the parking lot. As the result it get plenty of attention. The south face, however, is much lower angle and very well featured. The most popular route on this face is The Flake. To the right of The Flake, you will find wide cracks, several ledge systems, low angle faces and chimneys, one of which is a route known as Drawstring. This route was established during the 1960s making it one of the earliest routes in Joshua Tree.




Drawstring is located to the right of one of the most prominent features on the south face, Bat Crack and Bat Ledge. The left-leaning chimney which is the first pitch of Drawstring is unmistakable.




Pitch 1: It's best to start your climb on the low angle face just to the left of the chimney. Move into the chimney to place protection and use the chimney features. The chimney slowly narrows to a crack size where you can place more protection and climb to a ledge half way up the route.

Pitch 2: Continue up the same crack until it runs out. Transition to face climbing on low angle rock past only one bolt for your protection and the top of the rock.



To descend There are at least two options to rappel to the base. You can use the anchors for Mike's Books, to the right of this route, or you can rappel to Bat Ledge and rappel again to the base..

Essential Equipment: One 60 meter rope, standard rack, pro to 4 inches, slings.


Getting There

North Face of Intersection RockNorth Face of Intersection Rock and parking lot


From the western entrance to Joshua Tree National Park drive on Park Boulevard, formerly known as Quail Springs Road, for about nine miles to a major rock formation called “Intersection Rock.” Intersection Rock is a major landmark on the north side of Park Boulevard with ample parking for visitors and climbers alike. This rock, true to its name, sit at the cross roads to “Hidden Valley Campground”, Barker Dam Road and the road to “Day use and picnic” area. Walk around the rock to its south face. This left-leaning chimney is pretty obvious.



Camping, Noise considerations, Environmental concerns,

Joshua Tree landscapeTypical Joshua Tree landscape





Entrance station...

Please tread lightly. The Access Fund has gone to great lengths posting trail marker for approaches to many of the more popular crags. Do your best to stay on these trails, and where you are forced to use a different path, choose the ones that rain can mend in time. Drainages make for good trails where there are no established trails.
Avoid stepping on native and fragile plants, and do not feed the coyotes. Coyotes are very much used to people and often hang around picnic areas and camp grounds in hopes of getting a hand out. It’s better to let them live their natural life.

Camping

Joshua Tree at dusk
There are nine campgrounds in Joshua Tree National Park. At the entrance to the park you are always asked if you would care to have a map and a brochure. The brochure will have plenty of information on the campgrounds and the map will guide you to many of the pleasant hikes throughout the park. You may even get the latest information as to availability of campsites. During the peak season (mid winter through spring) finding a campsite may become a major task. It is highly recommended to use the following link to get more information in advance.

Joshua Tree Camping



Noise considerations



When you are camping with friends and sitting around the fire, it is easy to forget that there are other people trying to sleep in the nearby campsites. It is important to put yourself in their shoes. Keep the noise and music to a minimum and certainly not too much past 10 p.m. Your neighbors will smile at you in the morning instead of giving you dirty looks.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.