Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 59.17430°N / 61.87875°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jun 6, 2014
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring

Intro

Being from Minnesota, I had been wanting to hike up to Eagle Mountain for quite some time. Unfortunately, with Minnesota being a larger state, I was still 5 hours away. I decided it was time to take the family camping and then I would have a good opportunity. I stayed at Cascade River State Park near Grand Marias. Even though I was prepared, the ranger was able to give me a map of Eagle Mountain, which also included the route there. 

Arrival

I had done plenty of preparation to get there. The roads were well groomed and easy to follow. I arrived at 10:10am. The weather was clear with temps in the 60s. I did prepare myself though and wore longsleeves & pants. There were 3 other vehicles in the parking lot. After putting on bug spray and signing in, we were off. 
 
Parking Lot - Eagle Mountain
 Parking Lot w/trailhead

On the Hike

 
Trail - Eagle Mountain
 Easy to follow trail
 
Trail - Eagle Mountain
 This is where it starts to get rocky

Trailhead - Eagle Mountain
Trailhead 
Whale Lake - Eagle Mountain
Whale Lake 


The trail was easy to follow. We did run into some standing water but simply going offtrail about 15 feet solved that problem. After crossing into the BWCA over some planks we trekked on. 
After an hour we were at Whale Lake. Very peaceful. After going around the lake, the trail starts going uphill and can be very rocky in spots. After coming to 2 overlook areas, keep hiking towards the top where you will catch the trail to the plaque. We passed many people on the way back down. Overall, the hike took about 3 hours roundtrip. The mosquitoes were awful. I am so glad I wore long sleeves. We saw a young lady who had shorts and a tank top on. I would not recommend. This is a pretty easy hike that I would even take my youngest on. 

Eagle Moutain -Plaque
Eagle Moutain -Plaque

 
Overlook - Eagle Mountain
The best scenic view from the overlook near the top. Zoo & Shrike Lakes are below 


Comments

No comments posted yet.


Table of Contents