Eagle Rest Peak (San Emigdio Mtns.) Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
wordlessnature

wordlessnature - Mar 29, 2021 8:50 am Date Climbed: Mar 28, 2021

Good fun.  Sucess!

Started out at Nesthorn way. The trail, while marked by large stacks of rocks, is pretty overgrown along the creek (and full of ticks). Once upon the west ridge, the going gets much better, including a nice little puzzle to reach the top of the highest rock. Summit register can was found below the summit rocks to the east.

cab

cab - Feb 6, 2012 10:34 am Date Climbed: Feb 5, 2012

San Emigdio Canyon  Sucess!

Got a pre-dawn start so I could get back home in time to watch the Superbowl. Had a little trouble with the routefinding in the dark where I missed a fork in the trail about 10 minutes after the Wind Wolves gate which made me do some unnecessary bushwhacking in the creekbed when I could have been on the trail instead (I found this out on the way back).

After that, the routefinding wasn't too bad until the sandstone cliffs just below the summit where I missed the ducked route (I wasn't looking too hard) going up through the cliffs. I ended up climbing a relatively sketchy route but made it to the top without incident. Oddly, the can and register were missing from just below the summit block which is strange on such a remote and infrequently climbed peak.

Since I didn't want to downclimb the way I came up, I looked harder for the ducks which were easy to find on the way down. I managed to make the RT in 5:50 which gave me plenty of time to get back home before the game. All in all, a nice peak.

cbuelow

cbuelow - Jul 13, 2010 12:15 am Date Climbed: Jul 10, 2010

San Emigdio Canyon  Sucess!

Note to self - take heed when Bob Burd describes your objective as a "worthy peak." Way too hot to have been doing this in July, but we were dying to get out of the neverending "June" gloom and into the sunshine. Sprained my ankle at the end of the grassy meadow in the gully at the base of the ridge. Persevered to the top and paid the price for the rest of the day. Ran out of water - thankfully the lower part of San Emigdio Creek was running. All in all, a classic sufferfest.

Bob Burd

Bob Burd - Jan 23, 2009 4:20 pm Date Climbed: Dec 11, 2008

San Emigdio Canyon  Sucess!

One of the better HPS peaks, imho. Trip Report

David Rosenberg - May 26, 2008 1:58 am Date Climbed: Oct 14, 2007

Great Hike  Sucess!

I did this via Route #1. Great hiking with bushwacking along the river and routefinding along the ridge. Final scramble through the bands of rocks was good fun. Great view, an unappreciated peak that rarely gets visited.

bechtt

bechtt - May 3, 2008 2:58 pm Date Climbed: Apr 26, 2008

San Emigdio Canyon & West Ridge  Sucess!

With Augie (Mountain Impulse) and five others. Part of a double header day and weekend.

Augie Medina

Augie Medina - May 2, 2008 6:37 pm Date Climbed: Apr 26, 2008

Via San Emigdio Canyon and West Ridge  Sucess!

Tom Becht and I did this peak with a Sierra Club group and then signed out with a third person to do Antimony Peak on our own. The west ridge to Eagle Rest is a wonderful route, including the tall grasses on the slope blowing in the wind--described as "wind wolves."

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Return to 'Eagle Rest Peak (San Emigdio Mtns.)' main page