Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: May 10, 2008
Activities Activities: Mixed
Seasons Season: Spring

Hiked and skied between Lone Peak and Big Horn

If you want a great place to make some turns in the late spring or summer. You should try this bowl! I have been staring at this bowl from my office at work in American Fork every day for weeks and finally decided it was time to climb it.

1st and 2nd Hammongog

We started our hike in Alpine on Aspen Dr heading up toward the water tank. The gate to drive up the dirt road was closed. From our car to the first Hammongog, it took us only about an hour (this was with all of our gear for skiing!) Then it took about another two hours before we reached the beautiful meadow of the second hammongog. The route was steep toward the top as we lost the trail in the snow and hiked straight up to the meadow. We stopped to cook some food and to leave some of our gear behind for the next section of our trip.

Hike up the east bowl from lone peak

The next part was great fun! I put on my skins and my wife used her snowshoes and it took us 3.5 hours to climb almost to the top to the ridgeline. We stopped 150 before the top as the snow conditions changed toward the top. The last section to climb was steep and the snow was fracturing with every step that I took. So we made the decision to stop here and ski or slide down from here. The snow was that perfect corn snow you always dream about. definitely a perfect trip!

Comments

No comments posted yet.