East Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.06700°N / 105.638°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike/minor scrambling
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: easy class 3
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


If you are looking for an outing of only Shoshoni Peak and you want a more challenging route than the Pawnee Pass Route, try the east ridge of Shoshoni Peak. This route is a more direct route that is shorter in distance than the Pawnee Pass Route. Here is a distance and vertical gain comparison of the two routes submitted on Shoshoni Peak.

  • Pawnee Pass Route-10 miles and 2,850-ft -mostly class 1 with a short section of class 2 while traversing Point 12,878-ft.

  • East Ridge Route-9 miles and 2,600-ft-class 1 approach and easy class 3 climb of the east ridge.

    You can also make this a loop route by ascending the east ridge and descending the Pawnee Pass route.
    9-miles and 2,800-ft. The following is a route description of the east ridge on Shashoni Peak.

    Starting at the Long Lake Trailhead (10,500 ft.), hike .25 miles to Long Lake and continue another 2 miles on the well-worn trail to Lake Isabelle at 10,868-ft. Take the turnoff to Pawnee Pass and follow the trail as it switchbacks up into a beautiful high basin at 11,770-ft, east of Shoshoni Peak. At 11,860-ft leave the Pawnee Pass Trail and head directly to the steep east ridge of Shoshoni Peak. While en route to the east ridge, be environmentally conscious of the delicate, grassy marshes that reside in this basin.

    Route Description


    Once at the base of the steep east ridge, you can survey your route. The direct east ridge is steep, ascending 1000 ft of vertical gain in .85 mile. The ridge consists of grassy ledges and a few minor headwalls to climb. Shoshoni’s east slope consists of steep unstable talus. The most reasonable route is a combination of the ridge crest and the east slope. It is best to ascend the ridge crest and traverse out on the slope into a shallow gully to bypass any headwall difficulties.

    Essential Gear


    Always be prepared for an overnight stay, if worst comes to worst.



  • Parents 

    Parents

    Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.