Eddy doing the Tyrolean back to the Rim

Eddy doing the Tyrolean back to the Rim

2011-09-18 - Eddy doing the Tyrolean back to the Rim. by Paul Keller.
PellucidWombat
on Oct 24, 2011 9:48 am
Image ID: 755831

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2
hansw

hansw - Nov 19, 2011 10:17 am - Voted 10/10

Just for fun

Assuming 45 and 12 degrees the static tension forces in the rope above and below the climber corresponds to 1.80 and 1.30 times his weight, respectively.

Looking closer we see that the upper end of the rope is closer than the lower end. Assuming a 45 degree angle of the vertical plane our two angles at the climber become 35 and 8.6 degrees giving increased force coefficients 2.22 and 1.84.


Anyway, the important thing is that the picture is great!

/Hans

PellucidWombat

PellucidWombat - Nov 19, 2011 4:36 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Just for fun

I was thinking about working out the statics of the forces involved myself. Thanks for the numbers! :-) Let's not forget that the rope is pre-tensioned so you'd want to work out how much tension is in the rope from self-weight and the hand tightening.

Another number exercise is forces on the anchors. When I crossed the line was fixed on both ends so that is a simple calculation. In Eddy's case since the rope is running through the anchor on the spire like a rappel the anchors on either end are subjected to much higher forces!

Viewing: 1-2 of 2