Eisenhower Tower, II, 5.5 Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Nefsek

Nefsek - Sep 2, 2013 9:39 pm Date Climbed: Jul 25, 2012

Awesome Climb  Sucess!

Climbed Eisenhower on our way to the Castle Mountain climber's hut. Fantastic climb and subsequent traverse to the hut. One of my favorite places.

Brad F

Brad F - Aug 27, 2013 4:35 pm Date Climbed: Aug 19, 2013

Eisenhower Tower  Sucess!

Quite a long day out but never the less we had an awesome day. Very windy once on the tower. Rockbound Lake trail seems to never end on the return trip!

Old School WB

Old School WB - Jan 19, 2012 2:47 pm Date Climbed: Oct 9, 1994

Second route rock   Sucess!

Rob L. and I had prefect weather and great late fall colours on the standard route up Eisenhower Tower. Third multi pitch rock route of my life!

midtoad

midtoad - Jul 4, 2011 1:12 pm Date Climbed: Jul 1, 2011

Not a scramble  Sucess!

Dow's description makes it sound like the Dragon's Back is just a mild scramble. I disagree.

The lower cliffs up to the Goat Plateau *are* a scramble, though a climber's scramble. Most hiker types wouldn't even like that lower section.

On the other hand, the crack at the east end of the Dragon's Back that Dow describes is quite vertical at the bottom, and a fall would likely be fatal. We chose to rope up before we'd gotten too far up it.

Further along, the Dragon's Back is a series of broken, disconnected towers. Sure, the moves are easy, but the rock is rotten and there is big exposure on both sides. A better option might be to skirt the Dragon on the north side and climb the 2-pitch gully at the west end. We chose not to try that due to extensive snow along the north-side, and likely snow and ice in that gully (later confirmed from observation from above).

We decided to turn around at the base of the upper climb to the scree gully, as there was extensive ice below that gully and we were getting hypothermic from the lower than forecast temps. The "scree gully" was full of snow but likely could be skirted on either side.

We made up for the bail by making a westward traverse along the Goat Plateau (most enjoyable!), and then scrambling down the gully west of the hut. There is one rap at the bottom of that gully.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Return to 'Eisenhower Tower, II, 5.5' main page