Viewing: 1-20 of 30 « PREV 1 2 NEXT »

ScottUntitled Comment

Scott

Good page. I especially like the photo of the view of the Pickets. For a second there, I though someone added Elephant Butte, Utah. A completely different peak, but very interesting and scenic in a different way.
Posted Mar 20, 2005 11:09 pm

Derek FranzenUntitled Comment

Derek Franzen

Nicely writen page, neat photos.
Posted Mar 20, 2005 11:13 pm

The Lower MarmotUntitled Comment

The Lower Marmot

Your pages are exceptional!
Posted Mar 20, 2005 11:33 pm

Eric SandboUntitled Comment

Eric Sandbo

Thanks! I live in what I feel is an exceptional region. Dragging a camera everywhere helps, too.
Posted Mar 25, 2005 3:09 am

DeanUntitled Comment

Nice page. Love those north cascades.
Posted Mar 21, 2005 12:19 am

Eric SandboUntitled Comment

Eric Sandbo

Thanks for the vote. I'm kinda partial to these mountains, too.
Posted Mar 25, 2005 3:12 am

Gangolf HaubUntitled Comment

Gangolf Haub

Excellent page Eric! The tidbit about the cul-de-sac and non-hiker got me grinning. I remember when I first went to the Sierra I always wondered that aside from the picnic areas I wouldn't meet anybody. Or if I did he/she was German. Then we came across a family, clearly American, somewhere miles away from the next road. When they drew nearer, however, the mother greeted us in German - she had emigrated.

You'll see the same thing here of course, but it struck me that most people seemed to be content to stay close to the roads.
Posted Mar 21, 2005 2:00 am

Johan HeersinkUntitled Comment

Johan Heersink

Nice page!
Posted Mar 21, 2005 6:14 am

mtwashingtonmonroeUntitled Comment

mtwashingtonmonroe

Talk about rugged scenery!!! PHEW!!! Very nicely done page and thanks for sharing!

-Britt
Posted Mar 21, 2005 10:17 am

Eric SandboUntitled Comment

Eric Sandbo

Thanks for the vote and the nice words. I've tweaked the page a bit since then. Klenke added a photo that shows the faulting so well, I made it the signature photo.
Posted Mar 25, 2005 3:23 am

rpcUntitled Comment

rpc

Interesting addition and a very nice page.
Posted Mar 21, 2005 12:00 pm

Eric SandboUntitled Comment

Eric Sandbo

Thanks. I hadn't realized how split with faults Elephant Butte is until I saw Klenke's photo from his September trip. I like it so much, it's the signature photo now.
Posted Mar 25, 2005 3:25 am

WhiteLiefUntitled Comment

WhiteLief

very nice page
Posted Mar 21, 2005 10:11 pm

Eric SandboUntitled Comment

Eric Sandbo

Thanks for your vote and comment. Your member page says you're into long-distance backpacking. I think you'll be interested in the trekking guidebook plug I added at the bottom of my trip report for Elephant Butte.
Posted Mar 25, 2005 3:30 am

BobSmithUntitled Comment

BobSmith

Washington has some of the most striking peaks I've seen here. Great summitpost!

Posted Mar 22, 2005 6:51 am

KlenkeUntitled Comment

Klenke

A peak I failed on...twice...in one year...in 1998. Haven't been back since. Thanks for putting up the page. I'll add a number of photos today.

I created a Picket Range Group. Elephant Butte belongs in that group in my opinion. My cut-off is the notch at the head of Torrent Creek. Luna Peak also belongs in my opinion.

Corrections:

1. Pickets has only one "t"

2. Your commentary for Sourdough Ridge should probably be changed to Stetattle Ridge. Or you should at least meantion that Sourdough Ridge also goes by the name Stetattle Ridge. I believe Stetattle Ridge is the more accepted toponym. Note that this change would need to be made on your SE Ridge Route page too. On both Elephantine failures on my part, my partner Charlie & I summited Stetattle Ridge's highpoint (Pk 6728). This peak has over 1,700 feet of prominence. It's such a dominant feature it is A) a pity it isn't officially named and B) more important a summit than diminutive Sourdough Mountain. As such, Stetattle Ridge is better than Sourdough Ridge. Trivial note: Davis Peak used to be known as Stetattle Peak. Stetattle Peak or Butte might be a good name for Pk 6728.

3. You should put a note on the Main page somewhere cautioning against trying the route from the Stetattle Creek Trail. I remember the Stetattle Creek Trailhead sign warning that the trail "succumbs to the forest" in 3 miles. I can personally attest to this truth. Furthermore, when you get to the base of the mountain, the deep canyon of Torrent Creek gets in your way.

4. Sourdough misspelled in Books & Maps section.
Posted Mar 22, 2005 12:03 pm

Eric SandboUntitled Comment

Eric Sandbo

Good points. I've been spelling Picket with 2 t's all winter, and just noticed it a couple of nights ago. As for Stetattle Ridge, I saw the name in Beckey's book and thought it referred to the ridge from Elephant to McMillan Spires. His route description for Elephant is from the W, which would be that ridge. Anyway, thanks for the help, and I'll fix things up in a night or two.
Posted Mar 22, 2005 3:49 pm

Eric SandboUntitled Comment

Eric Sandbo

I tweaked the main page to accomodate your suggestions. Even gave one of your photos prominence, as it shows more of the mountain and illustrates the faulting better than any of mine. Thanks for the additions. I haven't edited the route desc. page yet.
Posted Mar 25, 2005 3:40 am

KlenkeUntitled Comment

Klenke

Saw the Butte today from NCH. You can see it quite well, actually, in two or three locations near the Pyramid Lake Trailhead. I didn't stop for a picture but one of these days I will.

I notice my picture (the signature one) has 220 hits. Geez. From who, where?
Posted Mar 26, 2005 1:17 am

KlenkeUntitled Comment

Klenke

BTW, never take as gospel anything you read in Beckey. :)
Posted Mar 26, 2005 1:20 am