Emigrant Peak Comments

Viewing: 1-20 of 21 « PREV 1 2 NEXT »

Brice NeugebauerUntitled Comment

Brice Neugebauer

I see its still under construction (no pics yet), but can tell it's going to be an excellent page.
Posted May 22, 2004 6:04 pm

bakcastUntitled Comment

bakcast

Thanks Bruce!
Posted May 24, 2004 11:06 am

BobSmithUntitled Comment

BobSmith

Nice page. Wasn't familiar with this peak. Good job.

Posted May 22, 2004 6:28 pm

mpbroUntitled Comment

mpbro

Fantastic effort! Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

-Morgan
Posted May 22, 2004 8:32 pm

Alan EllisUntitled Comment

Alan Ellis

Lots of good info. Great page!
Posted May 22, 2004 9:12 pm

hgrapidUntitled Comment

hgrapid

Finally, someone puts up this magnificent peak, that is so tantalizingly close to the highway! I got out of my car just to gaze at this mountain for a while when I first saw it. One day, I plan to climb it. Thanks. Can I give you 5 stars?
Posted May 22, 2004 9:14 pm

pilz8Untitled Comment

pilz8

nice looking mountain, maybe one of these days I'll get out that way.
Posted May 22, 2004 10:17 pm

bakcastUntitled Comment

bakcast

Many Thanks.
Posted May 26, 2004 12:05 pm

Dave KUntitled Comment

Dave K

Damn--what a great page. I wish I could give it 5 stars!
Posted May 23, 2004 11:57 pm

bakcastUntitled Comment

bakcast

That's mighty kind of you. Thanks!

Posted May 24, 2004 1:06 pm

Jerry LUntitled Comment

Jerry L

Outstanding. Obviously this one is on my to do list. Reading all of the links caused me to be late for work. Really nice stuff.
Posted May 25, 2004 6:35 am

bakcastUntitled Comment

bakcast

Thanks Iceaxeman! I think I'm going to try and ski Koch peak this weekend if the weather cooperates. I was up the Taylor fork the other day as you could probably tell from the photo I submitted. I was alone with my pups and every other step was either a fresh pile of bear crap or a nice big paw print with long claws that was as long as my size 10 boots. There sure are a lot of those suckers up there!

Posted May 26, 2004 12:04 pm

Jerry LUntitled Comment

Jerry L

So how do you deal with those bears ? When I was young working in Alaska it never bothered me. For some reason it bothers the hell out of me now. A couple of weeks ago I was camping near Saddle Peak (where I thought there weren't any bears) and along comes two guys bear hunting ? Totally changed my perspective. I should be back in Bozeman real soon.
Posted May 26, 2004 5:36 pm

bakcastUntitled Comment

bakcast

I had one really close encounter with a big male when I was in the Bob Marshall 5 years ago. I was hiking alone up switchbacks about 4 miles back with my eyes to the ground huffing and puffing over the Swan crest. The bear was walking down the switchbacks paying no more attention than myself. Anyway, we met at one of the switchbacks, he stood up on his hind legs towering over me and I thought I was a gonner. 15 feet away or so. The only thing I could think to do, despite the fact that I was carrying bear spray, was to back up and head down the hill. The bear ended up walking off the switchback into the woods and I continued on.

How do I handle them? I don't think about it. Plain and simple. I have a habit of whistling and singing in the forest and that has scared off every single bear I have ever run into except for the habituated type in Yellowstone. I wasn't making any noise when I ran into that Bob Marshall bear. Lesson learned.

Posted May 28, 2004 9:48 am

Jerry LUntitled Comment

Jerry L

We'll have to do some climbing together one day. We can talk and keep the bears away.
Posted May 28, 2004 8:37 pm

rpcUntitled Comment

rpc

nice job.
Posted Nov 19, 2004 4:40 pm

Aaron JohnsonUntitled Comment

Aaron Johnson

Well done. Interesting links.
Posted Dec 20, 2004 11:21 pm

SaintgrizzlyUntitled Comment

Saintgrizzly

Aptly named Paradise Valley never ceases to inspire! Nice job!
Posted Jan 5, 2005 11:26 pm

DeanUntitled Comment

Excellent page.
Posted May 18, 2005 3:21 pm

munroitisAnother attempt

munroitis

Thanks for the page Bakcast. I'm over in Montana again in August and will probably have another go at Emigrant. Last time I failed on the final ridge (see trip report). The conditions were somewhat more wintery than I am used to in the UK.

Must echo your recomendation of Chico. Brilliant.
Posted May 20, 2007 4:20 am