Evans attempt in Winter via West Gully

Evans attempt in Winter via West Gully

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 39.58860°N / 105.6428°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jan 22, 2006
On a Sunday in January my roomate and I attempted Mount Evans from Guenalla Pass via the West Gully. We arrived at the parking area around 6am and were on the trail by 6:30. We made the approach with snowshoes which worked very well until we reached the gully. After starting up the gully we switched over to crampons which got us up to the top of the west ridge. From there crampons were no longer needed. Having never climbed Evans before we tried to continue south along the ridge proper towards the summit. Little did we know that there are some serious drops in the ridgeline, and actually the trail traverses along the southern side of Evans from the saddle between the Sawtooth and Evans. Much time was wasted staying high on the ridge and we reached point 14,256 at approximately 1pm. Not wishing to descend in the dark, we decided to turn around which was a difficult decision being that close. From where we were at it would probably have taken at least another hour to reach the summit. Next time should be easier with this information.

Comments

No comments posted yet.