Eye of the Skull - part 2

Eye of the Skull - part 2

For location details see "Eye of the Skull - part 1". Our route into the basalt bubble cave was to rappel. I went first with the camera gear to catch each team member making their descent. There was no sign of any human having been here before us. The vertical basalt face below the cave and the distance from the ledge above may have deterred all but the most inquisitive explorers. Plus given the location of this formation it is not readily visible from any travel corridors. But I can tell you this – the packrats know where this cave is. The chamber is just over twenty feet wide and goes at least twenty feet into the rock. It starts out fifteen feet tall at the front and tapers back to a sloped six foot wall in the rear of the room. It is against this wall that the mother-of-all pack rat nest resides. The nest is 20 feet long, six feet in breath and four to five feet in depth. Leaves, sticks, stones, moss, fur, feathers, you name it, if it grows or occurs naturally in this area those packrats have hauled it up a narrow, 60 foot tall, vertical crack and into their fortress. What a spot!
foster fanning
on Mar 2, 2010 10:19 pm
Image Type(s): Bouldering
Image ID: 601499

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Marmaduke

Marmaduke - Mar 2, 2010 10:57 pm - Voted 10/10

Great shot!

Very cool how, what appears to be a cave, frames out the person.

Tomek Lodowy

Tomek Lodowy - Dec 4, 2010 8:20 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Great shot!

totally agree, wonderful pic. I wish myself to capture something like that some day!

cheers

Tomek

foster fanning

foster fanning - Dec 4, 2010 8:24 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Great shot!

Thanks for the comments. Yes, this was a fun image to capture and certainly a fun 'cave' to explore.

Viewing: 1-3 of 3