Fallbach Klettersteig

Fallbach Klettersteig

Page Type Page Type: Route
Additional Information Route Type: Via Ferrata
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: E
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The Fallbach-Klettersteig is one of the most difficult via ferratas of Austria. It’s stretching on the vertical walls just beside the Fallbach waterfall, the highest one in Carinthia. It’s and ideal extension to any tour made in this area as this is just a few minutes walk from the road of Malta valley.

The difficulty of the route is E. There are several meters of climbing on overhanging walls without steps. The route is perfectly secured with a double line of metallic ropes (one for gripping and another for clicking the carabiners.

The total elevation is around 250m.

According to bergsteigen.at the time needed for the ascent and descent would be 2,5 hours. However, I needed more than 3 hours.

Getting There

The Fallbach Waterfall

Take the „Tauernautobahn” (A10) till the exit „Gmünd”. Here follow the signs for Malta (this is a village, not the country:) and follow the road until you see the waterfall. It cannot be missed, clearly visible and hearable from the road. There is a big parking place just below the waterfall.

You need to pay a small entrance fee in order to visit the klettersteig and the neighbouring „Wassererlebnis” park.

Cross the river by a small wooden „bridge” and follow the signs until you reach the rocks.

Route Description

The route consists of three parts.

The first is quite easy, with a maximum difficulty of C/D. There is a ledge and later a vertical wall. If you find it too hard, the first escape is at the end of this section. An unmarked path deviates to the right.
The first difficulties on Fallbach-Klettersteig


Between rocks and water

The second part is a little bit harder (D). It zig-zags on a plain vertical rock with very few steps and grips. At the end of this part you can climb out to a small terrace with a nice view to the waterfall. There is another escape route from the terrace. A bridge made of three cables joins this part to the third, hardest part.
Strange perspective


After the bridge there is a totally plain wall to which the builders must have mounted some artificial grips to make it possible to cross. The hardest parts come after this point. Several meters of climbing without any steps and resting places. The best thing you can do is to get over it as quick as you can because there is no place to relax and to loose your muscles. Another option is to have a pause while hanging only on the ropes, but I don’t like doing it while there is 200 meters of abyss below me.
After the end of the ferrata the route reaches a wide marked path. Here you must turn to the right and the path leads you back to the valley.
The ideal place for a photo

Essential Gear

Via ferrata equipment with helmet and probably a pair of good gloves.
Mathias Zehring's comment is also advisable: A short sling with an additional carabiner is a great help if one wants to have a rest at the hardest points.

External Links

A perfect route description with topo and pictures is available at bergsteigen.at (in German)
Another one (also in German) is at www.klettersteig.de

Entry fee

The entry fee was 2,5 EUR in 2007, but the ticket was valid till the end of the year and is valid for the Wassererlebnispark also. It means that one has to pay the fee only once in a year.
I've read somewhere it was 3 EUR in 2008.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
dmiki

dmiki - Aug 4, 2010 11:26 am - Voted 10/10

The entry fee

was €3 in 2010, and valid for the year, so you could go back as many times as you wished. There are actually 3 routes of descent from the top: the path to the right (shorter), the path to the left (longer), and quite a few people decide to downclimb the ferrata (be prepared for oncoming traffic on your way up).

saman

saman - Aug 5, 2010 6:37 am - Hasn't voted

Re: The entry fee

Thanks for the comment. Was the ferrata crowded? When we were there in June, 2007, we haven't seen anyone on the wall.

dmiki

dmiki - Aug 9, 2010 3:12 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: The entry fee

I wouldn't call it crowded at all. We were a group of five. There were maybe another 15 people on the wall + 2 rock climbers while we were there. 2 of these 15 downclimbed the ferrata after reaching the top, and 2 other people were turned back by the hardest section after the viewing platform.

Viewing: 1-3 of 3


Geography
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.