Fire Class 2 route

Fire Class 2 route

This GPS trace shows an amalgam of routes suggested by goofball and Day Hiker. After the pass, head N down a shallow gully to the main canyon; this route avoids the big dryfalls in the eastern canyon. When the main canyon turns sharply left (south), keep right and go behind some large conglomerate boulders, up a steep but mainly shallow drainage. This bypass avoids another large dryfall. NW of the shoulder, traverse right along the cliffs to the narrow hidden slot.
MoapaPk
on Dec 23, 2008 5:38 pm
Image Type(s): Informational
Image ID: 474107

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-4 of 4
goofball

goofball - Jan 17, 2009 9:06 pm - Voted 10/10

thanks

for the additional info to help those who want to enjoy this peak.

MoapaPk

MoapaPk - Jan 18, 2009 11:28 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: thanks

We considered going to the top, then rappeling down the falls, but don't know if that idea will evaporate away... but in any case, I wanted to check out an "easy" route up 1st.

goofball

goofball - Jan 25, 2009 11:37 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: thanks

the rap was fun, at least the lower one i did where dayhiker and i up climbed on our joint venture to the fire bm. when i first saw the canyon that is what i went for - a technical canyon. not much to it in that regard but it was fun practicing my anchoring.

MoapaPk

MoapaPk - Jan 27, 2009 1:17 am - Hasn't voted

Re: thanks

There are definitely some canyons in Lake Mead area that require big raps. There is one near Boy Scout near 300'. Usually there are ways around the drops, though some are quite circuitous. Arch Mountain has a few interesting canyons.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4