Flat Top Benchmark

Flat Top Benchmark

Flat Top Benchmark (12194') is the southernmost of all of the 12000 footers in the Uintas. Viewed from the northwest. July-15-2010
ZeeJay
on Jul 17, 2010 8:39 am
Image Type(s): Hiking
Image ID: 638800

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-8 of 8
lcarreau

lcarreau - Jul 17, 2010 10:27 pm - Voted 10/10

Flat Top BM ?

I'm not a geologist, but it appears it was
formally much higher, but then was ran over
by a glacier back in the last Ice Age.

ZeeJay

ZeeJay - Jul 17, 2010 10:33 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Flat Top BM ?

I don't know Larry, I'm not a geologist either. All I know is I was very tired by the time I got there. It was the last peak of a very long 30+ mile day going over 8 13000 footers and 3 12000 footers. I was so happy when I got to the top and it was virtually all down hill from there. It was very striking at that time of day (4:30pm) and the bands of white were the only white rock I encountered the whole day. Everything else was red or grayish red.

lcarreau

lcarreau - Jul 17, 2010 10:54 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Flat Top BM ?

You were tired and happy at the same time ??

I need to take a good look at Google Earth.
Do you ever see any weather balloons out there?

ZeeJay

ZeeJay - Jul 18, 2010 4:41 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Flat Top BM ?

Thanks for the info WV.

Scott

Scott - Jul 18, 2010 9:07 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Flat Top BM ?

It would be interesting to go back in time and see what the average altitude of the range was back then.

Supposedly 20,000-25,000 feet. I used to have two books on the geology of the Uinta Mountains, but they were lost when our house flooded in 2001.

Scott

Scott - Jul 18, 2010 9:01 pm - Voted 10/10

Seperate page?

If you would like, you might be insterested in creating a different page on Flat Top BM. The only reason I put the information on the Mount Emmons page was because I didn't have any photos of Flat Top BM (and thus couldn't create a page on it), but I still wanted the information on SP.

It might make a good page in itself.

PS, when we were there we found a cairn, but no metal BM. I assume there isn't a metal one up there, but did you happen to find one?

ZeeJay

ZeeJay - Jul 18, 2010 9:36 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Seperate page?

Thanks for suggesting that. I was wondering about that too. I will do it but it may be awhile before I get to it. Also, the first time I climbed it in June from Dry Gulch, I had a similar experience to yours on the way up, lots of blow downs and trails not worth following. But on the way down, I was very lucky and found a pretty good trail all the way back to the start which has clearly seen occasional maintenance.

ZeeJay

ZeeJay - Jul 18, 2010 9:47 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Seperate page?

I forgot to add that no I did not find a metal BM either, just the cairn.

Viewing: 1-8 of 8