Flour Power Couloir

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.29220°N / 105.68°W
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Grade: II
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Near the bottom of Flour Power CouloirNear the bottom.

Flour Power Couloir starts from The Gash below the headwall that sits beneath Andrews Tarn. It goes up the south face of Otis Peak and tops out just east of the summit.

The couloir is roughly 1000' in height and when conditions are right makes for a nice snow climb similar in quality to Dragons Tail Couloir. For the most part Flour Power Couloir is very narrow (roughly 15' across) and a little curvy which gives it a nice character. You can never see the top until you're there.
Water ice stepWater ice step.

The main difficulties consist of a possible water ice step about 1/3 of the way up the couloir and a steep snowfield just below the ridge crest. The possible water ice step is short (perhaps 15') and no harder than WI2. Depending on conditions the ice may be avoided by some 3rd class scrambling on climbers left. The snow is steepest at the very top where the couloir opens into a wide snowfield. At its steepest this part of Flour Power Couloir may exceed 60 degrees. (The rest of the couloir is probably in the 45 degree range or mellower).

I believe that one reason this couloir has not become as popular as some of the less interesting Front Range classics (like Dead Dog, Skywalker, and Dragon's Tail) is that it has a very short season. It is south facing and has a large snowfield at its top which makes it avalanche prone early in the season and melted out later in the season. Nevertheless, when it's in I believe it is the peer to any of the other Front Range classics, or even superior.

A note on the name: our 2009 party had been making attempts at this couloir since 2007 and had been thwarted by poor conditions and weather. During this process we affectionately referred to the couloir as "Flour Power" due to its proximity to Flower Tower, our affinity for puns, and our lack of knowledge of any existing name or first ascent party. I'd be more than happy to give the couloir its proper name and attribute the first ascent if one has been made before ours.

Getting There

Start at the Glacier Gorge Trailhead and approach as if going to Andrews Glacier. When you reach The Gash stop below the headwall that sits beneath Andrews Tarn. You can't miss the couloir that goes up the south Face of Otis Peak.

Essential Gear

When conditions are ideal no protection is necessary. The walls of the couloir will probably take rock pro so a light rock rack may be useful if you really want to protect the climb. The snow is steepest (perhaps steeper than 60 degrees) at the top where the couloir opens up into a wide snowfield. Pickets would be the only possible way to protect this section.

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Otis PeakRoutes