Fort Reno ("Point Reno") - DC Additions and Corrections
[ Post an Addition or Correction ]
|rematore||Re: National Park Service marker|
|Thanks Puma!! I tried to incorporate your information.|
|Posted Nov 25, 2007 10:59 am|
|Redwic||Directions from I-495...|
|1) From I-495, head south along Wisconsin Avenue for nearly five miles.|
2) Take a left at Albemarle Street NW. A "Tenleytown-AU" indicator is located near this intersection.
3) Drive two blocks. Then take a left onto Nebraska Avenue NW.
4) Fort Reno Park will be on the left side of the road, within a few blocks.
For driving, this appears to be the most direct route to the HP, with only two turns needed from the Interstate.
|Posted Aug 5, 2008 9:27 am|
|Redwic||Info About The Summit Marker...|
|Several things worth noting:|
1) Washington, D.C. is considering officially naming the HP as "Point Reno". This name ("Point Reno") is already shown on the newer disk/marker that was created by the D.C. Association of Land Surveyors and the Highpointers Club in 2007.
2) Speaking of which, SP member "Puma concolor" is correct. The actual surveyed highpoint is at a much different location at Fort Reno Park than the reservoir (and from where people had been going previously). A ceremony was held in April 2008, commemorating this updated HP location. For details, visit http://highpointers.org/archives/2008/01/28/dc-2/ to find this information, map, and several photos.
|Posted Aug 5, 2008 9:36 am|
|rematore||Re: Info About The Summit Marker...|
|Thanks. Just updated it.|
|Posted Sep 28, 2008 12:11 am|