Lincoln Via Franconia Ridge Traverse

Lincoln Via Franconia Ridge Traverse

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 44.14880°N / 71.6445°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

See the Getting There section of the main page for directions to the trailhead.

Route Description

Please note that this page is not intended to describe the full Franconia Ridge Traverse but is meant to provide route info to Mount Lincoln. It just so happens that it is done via sections of the Franconia Ridge Traverse.


Lincoln from Cannon



If you wish to access Lincoln from the north, take the Old Bridle Trail from the parking lot (it separates to the left at the junction with the Falling Waters Trail). It climbs Agony Ridge and can be scrambly in places but nothing too bad. It is 2.54 miles to Greenleaf Hut and another mile from there (follow signs at the Hut) past Eagle Lake and up to the summit of Lafayette. Follow the path on the ridge to the south for .96 miles to the summit of Lincoln. Elevation gain is about 3750 and it's 3.5 miles long.


Lincoln from Lafayette as the...



If you wish to access Lincoln from the south, take the Falling Waters Trail at the above-mentioned junction. You'll pass Walker Brook and cross a bridge at .3 miles. In another half mile you come to Dry Brook. From there it is .1 mile to Stairs Falls, then another .1 mile to Swift Water Falls. Still another .4 miles on is Cloudland Falls. After that, it's .9 miles to Shining Rock Cliff and then another .5 miles to the summit of Little Haystack. From here, take the knife edge ridge that goes 1.67 miles north to the summit of Lincoln. Total length is 4.47 miles with same elevation gain.


Lincoln from Little Haystack.



You can descend either route as well and make the popular loop back to the parking lot.

Essential Gear

None needed.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.