Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jul 14, 2012
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer

Watch Lake and Gypsy Peak


So my son went on a YMCA BOLD mountain camp last year, and got hooked on the outdoors. He wanted to plan a couple night backpacking adventure with me this summer. Now we live on Bainbridge Island, which is West of Seattle (by boat)... So where does he pick? The Colville national forest, in the Selkirk range! Only about an 8 hour drive... We were looking for trail #515, the Crowell Ridge trail.

We take off at 5:20AM and head to Metaline Falls, last stop before the great unknown. Finding the trailhead was simple, as he had studied maps for quite some time. And the TomTom GPS helped a bunch. FSR 200 was in bad shape in many places, glad we had our 2006 Honda CRV. Many fallen trees, potholes, rocks, etc. We were the only car at the trailhead. It was about 2:00PM when we reached the trailhead at the end of 200, and immediately on getting out of the car we were attacked by mosquitos, and some horseflies, and who knows what else. The 100% DEET help A LOT. It was sunny and approaching 90 degrees. We were planning on spending two nights by Watch lake, using the full day to explore and climb Gypsy Peak. It felt like my pack was 50lbs with all the stuff we had.

After gearing up and registering at the trailhead sign, we hit the trail, and found it in good shape, with some awesome views as it traversed a steep slope. First place I worried about bringing my 13 year old... We also hit snow on the trail, which I was not expecting. I had forgot my hiking boots (how do you do that?), so I was in my tennis shoes... Oh well, it was hot out.

We found the TomTom did no good on the trail, since it only had roads on it. So I used my iPhone with the Gaia GPS maps app, it rocked! Good investment. We found the place to leave the Crowell Ridge trail, and head straight up north toward a ridge that would lead to the lake. The first peak was 6617 (ft), and it was awesome, with big boulders at the top. The trek up was pretty clear too, flowers, some short trees and brush. We could clearly see the ridge in front of us. The next peak was 6853, and between peaks was open meadows, snow patches, and cool looking dead trees. Onward we went..

The third peak 7177, was the last one, where we could see the lake. The trek up that one was difficult due to tons of rocks and boulders. We decided to peak each one, as opposed to go around the sides...(side-hill?). We found walking on the slopes was almost harder than climbing the damn things.

Once on top of 7177, we saw the lake alright, but now how to get there! It was STEEP. No going the direct route. So we went off the the left (west) and followed around the lake, until we could find a slope we could navigate. Many overhanging snow ledges, so we stayed FAR from the edge. We found a place before a next peak (7033). It was packed with trees, and not very nice to descend. If we had known then, we would have gone over 7033 as there was a nice clear slope there. (next time). Once down to the lake, there was a diversity of landscape. Marshy wet grass, rock fall, dense forest, and huge boulders. We found a spot to put the tent that was not snow, and not marsh. I think there was about two places for the tent! It was next to Watch creek. again, bugs galore.

We could not help but feel utterly alone, not sure when the last person had been down there, or when the next would. I realized it was just us, and he did too. It was cool, but a bit scary too. If anything happened to me, it was just him to get back. So I practiced my Zen... :)

We explored around the lake, and notice many trees that looked freshly snapped, on the southwest side of the lake. It was obvious by the snow on the slopes it had slid down at some point like an avalanche, or glacier. Trees were no match. It was also clear many large rocks had tumbled down that way. That ruled out anywhere near there for the tent :) In fact, the next day we heard what sounded like thunder, or a stampede, and it turned out to be some rather large rocks falling down the slope! What a sound that made.

After dinner, we were waiting for some stars to come out, when the lighting started. Then thunder, wind, and rain. This made for an interesting night of trying to sleep. Between the wind, rain, hail, lightning, and thunder, it was nerve racking. I swear the lightning was so bright I thought it struck right outside the tent! The wind was surreal too, sounded like a freight train. I did not worry much about bears that night (had the bear hang in a tree a ways away, which amazingly was still there the next morning.

IN the morning, it was cloudy and misty. This cleared in an hour or so, and we thought we had a sunny day ahead for our Gypsy Peak climb. But NO. We saw a nice slope between two higher points and started up, tiring, but clear and doable. Much better with just daypacks too. Towards the top, the colds moved in, and the rain started,. A light rain, like a drizzle. Stayed with us up to the top, but we had some clearing so we could get some views. We did not hit the summit proper, as I though it was a bit too dangerous for us. So we hung out about 20 feet away, and had a nice lunch with the mosquitos. We could see the Gypsy Lakes way down, and wondered how anyone could ever get down there (ropes and pitons maybe)?

One the way back down, we noticed bear tracks and marking on trees, very fresh... So, the bear spray was in hand the rest of the way. Back at camp we settled in for another night. It was calm, and we got some sleep. But, the next morning, when we had to head back, it was RAINING. And raining good. Up the slope we ascended to get to Gypsy Peak we went, planning to head south until hitting the ridge back south. Well, ascending another peak (7077 I think), the thunder rumbled, and the wind picked up from the west. I thought we may have to abort if lighting started, but there was no lightning this time. The clouds and mist really moved in, and we had no visibility. We passed the ridge back without knowing, and headed up around the east side of the lake ridge... Now for the BAD PLANNING. My iPhone batteries died, and we had no paper map. Also, we had NO COMPASS. Yes, I think we made some major mistakes. After about an hour we realized we were not on the right ridge, cuz we saw another lake down to our left. I felt my stomach tighten as I realized where the hell I was with my kid. We headed back, and somehow got on the right ridge, not being able to see anything. We recognized some landmarks and felt more comfortable. We had not left enough cairns along the way, but as soon as we saw one, we felt more at ease. It was really coming down, we were soaked thru (I had no rain gear, doh). After some ups and downs we came back to the trail, and on to the car.

Still the only car there. I was a bit nervous the road would be impassable due to a washout or a fallen tree. We saw what looked like newly cleared fallen trees, so Im guessing the road is well monitored. We did pass one truck on the was back on 200, how we got around each other I'm still not clear on.

So, that was it, our first trip and summit (sort of). Learned a lot, will be much better prepared next time. All in all, a very scenic and challenging trip. The road closed in mid August as to protect the bear areas... including Grizzlies, which I found out AFTER we got home. So yes, there are Grizzlies around that area.

Hope this was an interesting read and helped some. We'll remember it forever. We look forward to our next adventure and next post!

Cheers, Friedmania

Comments

No comments posted yet.