From Fuente de los Roques

From Fuente de los Roques

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 28.53820°N / 17.8387°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Scramble-Up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

See the Getting There info on the main page. Look for the Fuente de los Roques entry.

Route Description

  • General data
      - Start altitude: 1120m
      - Summit altitude: 1597m
      - Prevailing exposition: S
      - Type: 2h along well marked paths
      - Protection: marked
  • Effort: 500m of altitude gain
  • Power: 2 - tough scramble in dry conditions
  • Psyche: 1 - easy

    In normal La Palma conditions this is a very tough scramble. Though only 500m are gained this is a two-steps-up_one_step_down scramble through fine, almost sand-like scree. If you are "lucky" and it has rained on the scree - the route is a very easy walk-up.

    Start out from the Zona Recreativa Fuente de los Roques. First head southwards to the rocks until you meet the Ruta de los Volcanes trekking trail, which comes up from Los Canarios. Turn northward on the Ruta which at first keeps the elevation, passing Montaña del Fuego on its eastern side. You cross-over to the north-west (with a trail for Montaña del Fuego which you should scramble on up! Great views!).

    The trail crosses LP-FU 110 (which leads to Monte de Luna (and is an ascent route i its own right)) and heads for the timberline. This is not caused by elevation but rather by the 1646 lava flow. Head along the flow on its western side and east of Montaña Pelada. Once you have reached Pelada, the trail cannot be missed. It leads aroud the western side of Volcán Martín until it reaches a saddle to the north of the volcano. Here turn right. Immediately you have to decide for the crater (left trail) or the southern summit (right trail). In good weather conditions I would suggest the latter which leads up the northern slope of the summit.

    The former (crater) trail leads to a viewpoint "platform", from which you can descend into the crater. To the southern side there is a little cave in which you can find the Fuente del Fuego source.

    Essential Gear

    Hiking gear is sufficient.

    Miscellaneous Info

    If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
  • Parents 

    Parents

    Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.