From Puerto de la Quesera, Normal

From Puerto de la Quesera, Normal

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 41.18460°N / 3.4649°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: F
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


See "Getting There" section in the main page to get to the base of the climb, Puerto de la Quesera (or Collado de la Quesera).

Route Description


From Collado de la Quesera's left curve (1710 m) follow the steep fire-lane (W) to Loma de las Caseruelas (1783 m), 10 min, 1 Km. Then descend a little to Col 1778 m and attempt a 2nd ascent to Point 1858 m, 25 min. The 2nd descent is a bit steeper than the 1st but not so much, we'll reach Collado de Prado Llano (1809 m), 30 min. There are 2 posibilities then:

1. A 3rd ascent to Calamorro de San Benito (1867 m), 40 min, 2 Km. And descent to Collado de San Benito's meadow, 1 h, 2.7 Km.

2. A short descent (S), crossing a dense young fir plantation, to the forest trail wich leads you to Collado de San Benito (SW), 1 h, 2.7 Km.

From the broad Collado de San Benito (1785 m) still follow the fire-lane (S-SW). This is a long and steep ascent, until Cerro del Aventadero (2003 m) is reached the fire-lane turns in 2 paths surrounding the sharp summital ridge, 1 h 35 min, 3.8 Km. The right path is good when ascending, then descend a little to a col. Our path and the trail forest from La Pinilla ski resort join on Point 2030 m, 1 h 55 min, 4.5 Km. Follow the stony forest trail to the left, zigzag and a steep straight to Point 2180 m, where the trail turns smooth and horizontal, 2 h 20 min. Soon you'll reach Collado de Las Peñuelas (2194 m), 2 h 25 min, 5.3 Km; you can see the final section to Pico del Lobo. Continue descending to the bed (2160 m) at the foot of the summit, 2 h 35 min, 6 Km. Finally ascend to the ancient drilled cable car station passing some debris and laying cables. Surround the building to the right on scramble to Pico del Lobo's survey point, 2 h 45 min, 6.5 Km.

The descent is similar to ascent but follow the right path when you reach Cerro del Aventadero. In descent is better option (1) because of the difficult search of the ascending path through the young fir plantation. Or follow the trail forest from Collado de San Benito to Puerto de la Quesera (many curves and more ugly views than following the summits line), 5 h 30 min, 13 Km.

Essential Gear


Crampons and ice axe could be necessary in some days from November-December to February-March. Also wear warm clothes and mask when blizzard. Do not forget your map and compass in that period. Always carry 1-1.5 liters of water a head because there are no drinking fountains in the route.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.