From Varengeh Rood

From Varengeh Rood

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 36.06414°N / 51.51550°E
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer
Sign the Climber's Log

Getting There

Directions to Varengeh Rood Village:
From downtown Tehran drive the Tehran-Karaj Freeway 40 Km west to the town of Karaj and take the Chalus Road exit. Drive the Chalus Road up the mountains roughly 70 Km till the junction of the road that goes to Dizin Ski Area (2250 m). Turn onto this road and follow it a few Km till you see a side road on the left that goes to Varengeh Rood Village (2325 m). Turn onto this road and follow it a few Km till the end of it at the village (2450 m).

Route Description

Please refer to the Detailed Map of Central Alborz for the below discussion. Having the 1:50 000 maps (See the “Maps” section of Introduction to Central Alborz) can add much more detail. You will need Sheet “6262 II Gajereh” for Varengeh Rood Village and much of the valley and Sheet “6362 III Uz” for Bandalkoli Peak.


All distances are per my GPS

Place…………….Elevation…………….Distance

Varengeh Rood
Village…………..2450 m……………….Zero

Junction
Of the
Stream to
Kholeno Lake…..3100 m……………….16.5 Km
Kholeno Lake…..3830 m………………..4.0 Km
Peak 4051 m……4051 m………………..2.2 Km
Bandalkoli………4118 m………………..1 Km

Total……………………………………...23.7 Km


Get on the trail at the north end of the Varengeh Rood Village (2450 m). This trail soon crosses (via a bridge) to the northwestern side of the River (The river is too large to cross on foot). You will have to follow the river-side trail 16.5 Km to reach the junction of the branch that goes to Kholeno Lake. The trail is, for the most part, fairly well-established. We did, however, lose it at times. We were in the area in mid June. Avalanche remains covered the river frequently and provided convenient ways of crossing the river. Later in the season, when the snow has melted away, crossing the river will become a problem.

16.5 Km after Varengeh Rood Village, at an elevation of 3100 m, you will reach a split in the river. You can look south here to see the horns that rise in front of the summit of Bandalkoli. Turn right (south, and later southeast) and follow the southern branch up much steeper slopes another 4 Km to reach the Kholeno Lake (3830 m) which sits at the base of the northern slopes of Khers Chal Peak. The pointy summit of Khers Chal will guide you to the lake. Set up your base camp near the lake
BandalkoliBandalkoli & its horns

The peaks around the lake have very steep and slippery slopes that are not wise to attempt to climb. Hike one Km back along the way that you came until you are directly to the north of Peak 4051 m (that rises between Farakhe No to the east and the 4118 m Bandalkoli Peak to the west). Identify the northern ridgeline of Peak 4051 m. This ridgeline might look intimidating, but if you stick just to the east of the crest of it, you will find a trail that takes you all the way to the summit of Peak 4051 m.
Bandalkoli & Peak 4051 mBandalkoli & Peak 4051 m

Once on the summit of Peak 4051 m, turn west and follow the ridge-top down a little to a saddle and then up to the summit of Bandalkoli.

Essential Gear

In summer, only camping equipment.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.