Fuente Dé-Normal

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 43.18190°N / 4.83953°W
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Mountaineering, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: 5.1 (YDS)
Additional Information Difficulty: F+ (Easy sup, I+)
Additional Information Grade: II
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

TrailheadTrailhead

The route from the cable of Fuente Dé (1850m) is the shortest actually and for this reason is the normal.
The option of the climb directly from the valley without cable is less popular. I think it's only for the people who love the "good old times" and if you has a good training is nice but really the people begin generally in the cable station (2 hours less of walk and 750 meters of slope)

Note: the route for GPS in gpx includes the visit to Cabaña Veronica and the climb of Torre de Horcados Rojos

Getting There

See the main page to approach to Fuente Dé.

Route Description

Tesorero & Horcados RojosTesorero & H.Rojos
Pico Tesorero from the SEPath
Pico TesoreroSE face
Pico TesoreroSummit

Time: 2h 30 minutes (4h 30 min from the valley if we don't use te cable way).
Slope: 740m (1500m from the valley).

From the cable (1835m) we'll take the track in north direction. This is a wide track with use for jeeps to the nearest Hotel de Aliva and for the former mines. The track go to the valley of Horcadina de Covarrones (1925m, 15-20 min) with a signal of bifurcation. We turn to left side (right side is indicated as "hotel de Aliva" and left as "Col de horcados rojos") for the same itinerary of a lot of people that walk to popular col of Horcados rojos (with marvelous view of Naranjo de Bulnes). We'll leave the track in the point that turn to left side (signaled with cairns) in a place called "La Vueltona". We'll follow the evident path in the stones under Peña Vieja and the zig-zag among the rocks to reach the bifurcation at 2220m (1h). In the crosspath a rock with yellow paint indicating Horcados Rojos (left) and Peña Vieja (right) but the paint almost it has disappeared totally.

We'll follow the path of Horcados Rojos for the moment but before of the col, we'll leave the great stones to left side (lightly to south we'll see the route to the near vivac of Cabaña Verónica). We'll walk a little valley under the ridge east of Peñas Urrieles (2398m) and Tesorero. We'll search in the west side the access to south spun and after two little cols (attention to the cairns) we'll reach the bottom of last cone. In diagonal we'll climb the walls of I+ in right side to reach the final ridge to the summit (a little exposed).

Essential Gear

Nothing special in summer.
Crampons and ice-axe in winter. It's possible the itinerary with skis to the bottom of the last rock-climb but the final exposed part probably need the use of rope.

External Links

picosdeuropa.net, gallery of images of the route to cabaña verónica and col of Horcados rojos

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.