Original mountain in the Chablais situated on the fronteer between France and Switzerland. Seen from a far distance this summit seems insignificant, but seen from near, he really takes the shape of a "giant's head "(=Tête du Géant in french). The ski resort of Chatel in very near, nevertheless the summit remains lonely.
IGN : 2228 m
1) Start point France = Châtel.
-Nearest airport : Geneva Cointrin (75 km)
-Nearest station : Thonon les Bains (39 km)
-Coming from Thonon by the road, D 902 and after && km, D 22 at the left. You cross Abondance and Chapelle d'Abondance before arriving to Châtel
2) Start point Switzerland = Morgins
-Geneva Airport - direct link with CFF railway to Aigle and then AOMC train to Trois Torrents and then on to Morgins by bus.
- Access by road from Monthey.
65 Km from Lausanne on the Leman motorway/exit St-Triphon.
75 Km from Geneva via the Abondance Valley (see access Châtel)
No permits. Parking unlimited in Plaine Dranse
1) NE ridge : normal route (2 h from Plaine Dranse). Diff T4.
2) NW rump T4
3) SW ridge PD-
4) N couloir with skis 200 m Diff D- 45°
Sight from the summit
Thrusting view to Morgins, 1000m lower. Dents du Midi, Dents Blanches, Dent du Géant of the Mont-Blanc range (The "giant's head looks at the giant's tooth !"), Mont de Grange.
When To Climb
From june to october. Interesting, short, but not easy skitour from the ski resort of Châtel-Linga.
- Relais des Bochasses, Famille Granger 024/477 22 21 summer/winter
- Cabane de Chésery, Famille Es-Borrat 024/479 35 11 summer
- Cantine de Tovassière, Famille Rey-Mermet 024/477 46 57
Good camping in Châtel.
Many restaurants and hotels in Châtel.
Typical mountain restaurants in Plaine Dranse.
Home page of Châtel. Meteorology.