Gannett Peak Comments

Viewing: 1-20 of 23 « PREV 1 2 NEXT »

Bob BoltonUntitled Comment

Bob Bolton

So since you hate backcountry camping, will you plan to do Gannett in one round-trip? I have some friends who actually did that while they were doing all the western state high points in something like 2 or 3 weeks, can't remember exactly. :-)
Posted Mar 15, 2002 6:52 pm

rpcUntitled Comment

rpc

WOW!!!!

Your pictures are UNREAL!!

My wife and I are planning a week-long backpack of the Wind River Range with a climb of Gannett in late July. We were trying to convince some friends to join us with limited success until I showed them your pic's on this page. Now they're 100% sold on the idea of going there. Thanks!

Keep posting!!!

radek
Posted Mar 28, 2002 4:08 pm

Bob BoltonUntitled Comment

Bob Bolton

Thanks radek! Well, if you have even decent weather you'll enjoy that trip. It's great country and a terrific climb.

I see we're almost neighbors. What part of town do you live in. I work at several locations: Lloyd Center area, Tualatin, and two locations in Vancouver.

Bob
Posted Mar 28, 2002 11:14 pm

rpcUntitled Comment

rpc

Hi Bob,

We live in SW Portland 'technically' (as far as the USPS is concerned) - though it's actually an area called 'Garden Home'. This is our first year (year + 3 days to be exact) in OR - moved here from the Tri-State area (NYC/NJ) ---- what a change!!!!! Don't think that we could ever go back to the east coast without being forced to do so.

It seems that for every weekend here we have 10 plans lined up - and still there's more stuff to do/see than we can ever hope to get through!

Your photos are incredible, Bob!! Did you get many of them published somewhere? I'm sure you're familiar with that book by the Mountaineers, '100 Classic Hikes in WA' -----those are some very nice (color) photos in there. Yours are somewhere between 'as good' and 'better' than those.

Best regards,

radek
Posted Mar 29, 2002 8:35 am

Bob BoltonUntitled Comment

Bob Bolton

The only time I ever submitted photos for possible publication, the author of the book thought that several of them would be selected. Then when none were selected he said that he thought the publisher didn't have the capability to publish from digital images. I've really never tried to get anything published otherwise. It seems like too much work and not enough reward. I guess I'd need someone to do the dirty work for me, but don't know anyone who knows the ropes. :-(

I hope you can get to the North Cascades sometime soon. Maybe you two would be interested in the Dome Peak trip I'm hoping to do this summer? I've climbed it twice, but haven't gotten the quality of photos I want from that area. This time I plan to approach from the south, which is incredible country. We'll be passing through some of the country in this photo collection, specifically the Image Lake area. This photo shows part of the approach to Dome, which is the skyline peak in the center of the photo. If we can pull this off, the trip will be sometime in August. The route I'm hoping to use on the mountain won't require glacier travel, so we won't need a big party for two rope teams.

Sounds like you must be learning mountaineering from the Mazamas?? If so, one of their senior climb leaders is a good friend of mine, Ed Holt. Have you met him yet?

Bob
Posted Mar 29, 2002 7:34 pm

pilz8Untitled Comment

pilz8

awesome photos!!
Posted Sep 15, 2002 8:31 am

Bob BoltonUntitled Comment

Bob Bolton

Thanks! But for whatever reasons I got lots of low votes for my photos of the approach. Not sure why, but I guess climbers like to see the mountain and climbing action, not approaches. If you're interested, there are more Wind River and Gannett photos here.

Bob
Posted Sep 16, 2002 5:39 pm

kletterwebbiUntitled Comment

kletterwebbi

Good page, something I would like to do in future ... is there any guide book to that area ?
Posted Jan 3, 2003 5:09 am

Bob BoltonUntitled Comment

Bob Bolton

Click on the BOOKS link for one book. I've seen some books but don't have any myself. Amazon.com has a pretty good looking collection - I searched by "wind river range". You might also search by "gannett peak".

Bob
Posted Jan 3, 2003 7:19 am

Alan EllisUntitled Comment

Alan Ellis

Great photos!
Posted Jan 14, 2003 6:45 pm

DigglerUntitled Comment

Diggler

Nice page, w/ great photos. Any particular recommendations for places to camp?
Posted Oct 13, 2003 8:18 pm

tloganUntitled Comment

tlogan

Nice page.
Posted Jan 20, 2004 4:58 pm

AlpinistUntitled Comment

Alpinist

Nice page. Outstanding photos! Gannett just made my must do list for this year.

Here are a few suggestions to make this a truly exceptional page.

1) Add some information about suggested camp sites.

2) Add a weather map.

3) Are there any other routes...?
Posted Jun 2, 2004 11:14 pm

BobSmithUntitled Comment

BobSmith

Should have seen this page before now. How did I miss it? Good stuff.

Posted Jun 15, 2004 11:31 pm

miztflipUntitled Comment

miztflip

Great page.
Posted Nov 26, 2004 9:44 pm

Kenzo OkawaUntitled Comment

Kenzo Okawa

Beautiful mountain!
Posted Aug 11, 2005 9:11 am

vanman798Of Interest

vanman798

http://www.pinedaleonline.com/Gannett.HTM, states "Gannett is the longest round trip of any highpoint (including McKinley). The hike is at least 40 miles roundtrip and an almost 9,000 foot vertical climb" .

By Highpoint, I assume they mean US Highpoint.
Posted Jul 20, 2009 4:54 pm

vanman798Also Interesting

vanman798

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gannett_Peak, states "Gannett Peak... is considered amongst mountaineers as second only to Alaska's Mount McKinley in difficulty of state high points. However, many climbers rank Gannett Peak behind both Mount McKinley and Montana's Granite Peak..."
Posted Jul 20, 2009 4:57 pm

bbolderFKT

bbolder

Anton Krupicka climbed Gannett car-car in 8:46. http://blog.ultimatedirection.com/gannet-the-grand-a-wyoming-whirlwind-tour/
Posted Sep 28, 2012 10:44 pm

hillclimberLooking for a guide

I am planning a trip to WY this summer and I do not have any climbing partners so I am looking for a climbing guide. Can anyone recommend a good climbing guide, outfit, company??

thanks